Sunday, June 29, 2008

MysticBliss: You Shine Like the Sun

The lilies are starting, so please bear with me!

Listening to: Something purely for fun.

Today's Bliss Formula: Frog is home today and then works for three days and then has four off. Four days during which we have nothing planned. Nowhere to go. Heaven. Perhaps she will even paint something new which I will share with you.

There is no way of telling people that they are
all walking around shining like the sun.


It was as if I suddenly saw the secret beauty
of their hearts, the depths of their hearts where
neither sin nor desire nor self-knowledge can reach,
the core of their reality, the person that each one
is in God's eyes. If only they could all
see themselves as they really are.
If only we could see each other that way all the time.
There would be no more war, no more hatred, no more cruelty,
no more greed. I suppose the big problem would be that
we would fall down and worship each other.


--Thomas Merton

In Merton's autobiography, you learn that he came to this realization while sitting outside a mall of sorts, just watching people come and go. A mundane moment turned sacred. Instantly.

Because he was taking the time to really look.

I like that he saw our centers as the sun. In Buddhism, they would call this same thing "ground luminosity." And I'm sure that other traditions see our essence in the same light-emanating way.

It never ceases to amaze me how mystics from wherever and whenever come to the same conclusions.

What does this tell us?

1 comment:

Cori said...

Four days with nothing planned - That does sound like Heaven. Oh the possibilities!!

With two days to myself this weekend, I think I figured out that the wonderful thing about having nothing planned is that it allows me to fully go with the flow and the energy of the day and the weather and the Earth. That feels good. Namaste Christine!