Thursday, July 24, 2008

RandomBliss: Powerful Poetic Practices

A bouquet for a book release party.

Listening to: Something Persian.

Today's Bliss Formula: A storm last night and now things are freshened. And though my internet has been intermittent, at least I'm online. Tomorrow a fun day out of town with a friend to some places (tease, tease) where I will take many, many photos.

Not too long ago, an author and poetry mentor, who has taught at Bennington College and Kripalu Yoga Center (big stuff, that), approached me about previewing his book and then offering it to my readers with some awesome gifts -- along with DailyOm and Deepak Chopra and all these other big wigs.

I thought, “What?! Little me!?” But he was serious.

And I got a package in the mail that said “Reviewer: Blog” from Simon & Schuster, and I have to say, that was a giggle-inducing moment right there!

The internet is an amazing thing...

Anyway, the book rocks (and I’m so not getting anything to say that!), and it completely parallels everything we talk about here at Blisschick -- especially the idea that you change your life into your dream-life by making changes in your heart and your spirit.

The book is Poetry as Spiritual Practice: Reading, Writing, and Using Poetry in Your Daily Rituals, Aspirations, and Intentions, by poetry mentor and renowned teacher, Robert McDowell.

As a creative writing teacher myself, I am a big proponent of using poetry in your life to make these kinds of changes -- whether it be by reading poetry or writing it yourself.


As I’ve written here before, haiku helped me through depression.

Haiku is not the only form I personally use, as you know if you’ve read Saturday’s posts, “BardBliss.”

If you’re looking for exercises to awaken your creativity or to challenge your poetry practice, this book is totally packed with them.

I also, from the beginning of Blisschick, have been frequently quoting Rumi. Here’s a guy who, 800 years ago, had an awakening, which he then went on to share with millions through creating and sharing his heart-changing poetry -- which has, in turn, awakened so many of us to this day.

Robert’s book embodies Rumi’s realizations and offers you opportunities (and awesome bonus gifts from more than 80 bestselling authors and guides) you’ve never had before!

To receive this offer, go to http://www.poetryasspiritualpractice.com/promotion now!

Here are some of the reviews of the book from people a little more famous than me (HA!):

“In the way that Rumi allowed us to touch the heart of our soul, Robert McDowell shows you how to easily create poetry that can propel your spiritual journey beyond normal reality into cherished mystic realms.”

--Denise Linn, author of Sacred Space and The Secret Language of Signs

“Reading this lovely guide awakens in you a deeper appreciation for poetry and messages of the Spirit. It communicates a poet's soul—and helps you articulate that deep place of truth for yourself.”

--Caroline Myss, author of Entering the Castle and Anatomy of the Spirit

“Poetry exposes me to a different way of experiencing the world. When I read Poetry as Spiritual Practice I instantly translated the poems into pictures. I can see fields of grain or rain in Autumn. It is fascinating to see all the patterns and rhymes that can be woven into language. I always enjoy learning about the different ways that other people think of and experience the world.”

--Temple Grandin, author of Thinking in Pictures

TAKE ACTION NOW! TREAT YOURSELF!

Go to http://www.poetryasspiritualpractice.com/promotion
To order the book and also receive a cornucopia of bonus gifts worth thousands of dollars from more than 80 bestselling authors, artists, teachers, mentors, coaches, and spirit guides!

“At the same time that Robert McDowell is teaching us to approach the reading and writing of poems as acts of prayer in his brilliantly insightful book, Poetry as Spiritual Practice, he is quietly doing another astonishing thing: creating community. McDowell’s exercises at the end of each chapter liberate poetry from a solitary contemplative practice to a collective celebration of the sacred. I will share this book with everyone I love.”

—Mirabai Starr, author of new translations of Dark Night of the Soul by John of the Cross and The Interior Castle and The Book of My Life by Teresa of Avila


Go on...Get your poetry on...I dare you!

2 comments:

differenceayearmakes said...

Have I mentioned recently how much I'm getting out of your blog? If not....well, I am. Inkjet cartidges and now poetry....wonderful! Thank you.

blisschick said...

Ha -- inkjet cartridges and poetry. A very funny pairing! And hey, we aim to please!