Sunday, September 28, 2008

MysticBliss: Rilke Makes Me Gasp, Yet Again

A rare and handsome Scottie flower.

Listening to: What was with the androgyny in the 80's?! (And yes, I loved this music.)

Bliss: Finally ordering some of this for one of the rooms to see how we like it. Remembering, just in time (HOW did I forget?), to order lily bulbs. We'll plant them in early November. Oh, how I have learned that I have such a love for lilies.

Do you ever read something that makes you stop breathing? That feels so instantly familiar and at the same time, brand new? That makes your heart beat faster? When you come to the end, does it make you gasp or quietly say "oh, my..." out loud on your front stoop, sitting in the fall sun?

That just happened to me when I came across this Rilke quote, from this delightful little book:

You have to live life to the limit, not according to each day but according to its depth. One does not have to do what comes next if one finds a greater affinity with that which happens later, at a remove, even in a remote distance. One may dream while others are saviors if these dreams are more real to oneself than reality and more necessary than bread. In a word: one ought to turn the most extreme possibility inside oneself into the measure for one's life, for our life is vast and can accommodate as much future as we are able to carry.

Phew!

I LOVE THIS!

My partner is always telling me that it doesn't have to "take time," this healing, this growing, this knowing, this awakening. No, it can happen in this moment, in this instance.

She is right.

And I love the idea of being true to our biggest, most amazing, most vast selves.

Stop being small versions of ourselves. Right now.

Stop not painting, not writing, not dancing, not singing. Right now.

Stop denying your dreams, holding your breath, waiting for the magic pill, the magic cure, the magic person. Right now.

What mountain, what ocean, what sky is in you, waiting to be born?

6 comments:

DAWN said...

While I appreciate the Rilke quote, because quite frankly he is genius, I'm thinking I am more moved and more awakened by what your partner says,

"it doesn't have to "take time," this healing, this growing, this knowing, this awakening. No, it can happen in this moment, in this instance."

I read that and it clicked and it made sense. Thank you and thank your partner.

differenceayearmakes said...

for our life is vast and can accommodate as much future as we are able to carry

wow! suddenly my chest just expands with this deep breath

thank you for all the jewels you share

carlikup said...

Hey there Christine :0)

I agree with Dawn on this one ~ what your partner says is very touching indeed.

... I must let that "ocean" within me be born "right now".

Thanks :0)

Carla

Tess said...

"Right now" is right. And often difficult, perhaps because we pause for thought.

Pink Heels said...

Fabulous picture! I love pets and all that they represent. They bring so much happiness into one's life with their simple existence.

I have to chuckle because my little dog is snoring as I type this comment. :) And the word verification for this comment is dogme. Coincidence? LOL

blisschick said...

Yes, I am very lucky to have such a wise person living with me! :) And right now is right, Tess, and you point out so accurately that it is in our pausing, in our doubting, in our mistrusting of those initial and correct and growth-inducing impulses, that we so often stop ourselves from becoming, blossoming, evolving.