Friday, November 21, 2008

BlissQuest: Where Positive Thinking Really Comes From

Lilly-sicles from the other night.

Listening to: Oh, I love this.

Bliss: Not having to leave the house, except to go outside later in my snow pants and take photos of this beautiful storm we've gotten. A winter wonderland out there!

The other day I brought home a movie I had put on hold at the library. I was felling a wee bit on the skeptical side about this film. To be truthful, I was expecting total, gooey, ripe cheese.

I have watched and loved films like this before -- like this one, for example. But I have also seen my share of bad movies (or the first ten minutes of them, to be more precise), and I have listened to my share of bad books on CD. For me, "bad" usually means some complex topic has been way over simplified, leaving the non-critical reader/listener/watcher to eventually give up or consider themselves a failure when trying the proposed techniques.

These oversimplified approaches usually take a hodgepodge approach, taking a bit from here, a sprinkle from there, until the philosophies and theologies are so distilled that they become a weak, tasteless soup, providing absolutely no nutrition.

I was expecting this very type of failed teaching from this recent DVD.

But, as is obvious at this point in my writing, I was totally surprised. There were a few things to learn from this. (And as a side note: what a woman! She is a perfect example of surviving in order to thrive!)

I'm sure a lot of you have done your fair share of reading about, thinking about, trying the whole positive affirmation thing. Who hasn't, if we are to be honest?

But in this DVD, I learned the missing link that most writers don't cover -- the emotion behind the positive affirmation.

Your thoughts are just reflections of your emotions which are just reflective of the vibration that you are putting out and it is this vibration that does all the miracle work, so to speak.

Since all of life is vibration, this makes sense.

So if you only change your thoughts, you are not going deeply enough to affect any real change.

You have to also change your emotions behind those thoughts.

Put another way: you have to believe with all your heart what you are saying and thinking.

We do this quite easily, don't we, with negative thinking? We quite easily believe that we are fat, that we are failures, that we are worthless, but to believe the opposite -- well, usually, we are just paying lip service to the good stuff.

As usual, then, we are at the "how" of it. How in the world do we change the emotion behind the thought?

The "how," of course, is where the real work comes in.

Set aside some time. Perhaps first thing in the morning, even while you are standing under the warm water of your shower if you feel really pressed.

Get yourself still. Breathe deeply. Now, think of your affirmation, perhaps "I am happy." (Affirmations are not wishes but statements of facts that already exist within you or the universe somewhere; you are calling forth that which already is.)

After thinking, "I am happy," enter that thought visually and concretely. What does "happy" look like to you. See it. See yourself smiling at your computer writing your book or peacefully sitting at the water with your family or confidently running a meeting. Whatever "happy" is. You might not even see a specific activity.

See it clearly. Get into the details of it. But don't get mired. Just watch it -- don't try to control the image.

Now here is the most important part of all: feel it. Enter the that image and feel what you are feeling. Feel what you already know.

Do this every day. Do this every chance you get.

Positive thinking, it turns out, does not come from your mind; positive thinking comes from your heart.

(Go here if you want to work on your heart energy center.)

3 comments:

Raine-Lee said...

Wow! What a great post. The last line "Positive thinking, it turns out, does not come from your mind; positive thinking comes from your heart," really got me to see things in a new perspective. I'll definitely be trying this out.

This blog is like a breath of fresh air. Thanks BlissChick!

Anonymous said...

Dear Bliss Chick, I come to your blog every day and I am always so pleased that I have. Today has been no exception. Positive thoughts ARE SO POWERFUL, and you have just re-focused and re-minded me how wishy washy I had become with my affirmations.
Thank you so much
Barbara

Bob Weisenberg said...

What a coincidence. Positive thinking is the next topic I'm starting to write about in my Yoga book/blog (www.myyogabook.wordpress.com). Here's what I wrote so far:

"Some modern self-help methods have given happiness-seeking a bad name. I’m reminded of Al Franken’s hilarious spoofs on positive thinking (looking at himself in the mirror saying, “You’re good enough, you’re smart enough, and, doggone it, people like you”.)"


What I'm planning to write is very similar to what you wrote here--that positive thinking works when it represents reality, and doesn't work (and can, in my opinion be damaging) when it represents only self-delusion.

That's not to say fantasy isn't OK as long as it's recognized as fantasy. I might play better tennis if I imagine myself to be Roger Federer. But I'm in deep trouble if I believe I really am Roger Federer. I must believe the characters in a novel, but I'm in trouble if I start to think they really are real.

Yoga philosophy would say that positive thinking is the natural result of seeing (and feeling) things exactly as they are, no more and no less. Your clarification is perfectly consistent with this.

It's also clear why positive thinking of the delusional kind is contrary to spiritual and psychological health.

Getting back to Al Franken, the fact is, he probably IS good enough, smart enough, and doggone it, people probably do, in fact, like him. So his positive thinking is probably just fine!

(I think I just wrote this section of my Yoga book. I better copy this.)

Thanks for a thought-provoking post.

Bob Weisenberg
www.myyogabook.wordpress.com