Thursday, November 27, 2008

RandomBliss: Blogger Album Project

A birthday present, signifying a
new obsession: vinyl.

You all know how much I love music, and I know a lot of you feel the same way and that you look forward to finding, possibly, some new music when you come here to Blisschick.

I've written about the healing effects of music really early on in this blog, about how you can create or re-create your world with music.

There is barely a time when you would walk into our house and not hear music, and frankly, it confuses me when people don't play music in their homes or when they come here and don't ask what it is that we're playing (because so often I know we are playing something they've never heard).

Music, for both my partner and I, is as important as food and air; music is transcendence.

So it seems appropriate to this day of thanks to answer to a tag by Linda (a yogi who will be interviewed here) over at Ageless Hippie Chick and join in the Blogger Album Project.

THE RULES:

1. Post your list of the seven best albums, the seven bloggers you will tag, a copy of these rules, and a link back to this page.
2. Each person tagged will put a URL to their Blogger Album Project post along with a list of the seven best albums in the comment section HERE.
3. Feel free to post the “I Contributed to the Blogger Album Project” Award Graphic on your sidebar, along with a link back to this page.
4. Post a link back to the blogger who tagged you.

Now, I think it's impossible to list the "seven best albums." Obviously. I mean, maybe the seven best jazz quartet albums of a certain decade, and even that might not be specific enough.

I LOVE ALL MUSIC! There is something in every single genre to be admired and awed by.

But, I'll play, and I'll list what seven albums I am most consistently in love with and which will come to mind! Also, my list will focus on really representing the music of my generation.

Here we go:

1. The Joshua Tree by U2. This album never ceases to blow me away emotionally, and isn't that totally what music is for? And if you watch the documentary about its making, you'll be amazed at the musicianship especially of The Edge. And the bravery of Bono as a vocalist.

2. Seven & the Ragged Tiger by Duran Duran. This album was the first one that I truly love love loved when I was about 16. The first time I heard the Reflex, I was transported. This album turned me into a true junkie. I had liked music always -- I was a dancer -- but this album changed me to a freak about music. I just look at the cover and feel elated.

3. Kick by INXS. Though this group tended to create a bit of filler on each album, their overall oeuvre is mind boggling due to the power of Michael Hutchence. I remember where I was and what I was doing when I heard of his death. I remember the exact moment. His voice was, I think, one of the greatest voices to grace this planet. Listen to some of the very late stuff that he was just starting to do before he died. Heart breaking. It puts a lump in my throat.

4. Temple of Low Men by Crowded House. I was just reading a critic writing about Neil Finn, who said that Neil has simply never made a misstep in his entire singer/song writing career, and that he just gets better with age. Exactly true. The lyrics, the orchestration...Neil (another Australian) is a God of Music.

5. Nine Heavens the new one by Niyaz with Azam Ali. I loved the work of this woman from the first sound out of her mouth. But seeing her live was like participating in prayer. And it's been said that this newest work is an utter evolution of Middle Eastern fusion. (And very cool: they include a second CD that is all acoustic, so the listener can hear the music without so much production.)

6. Toward the Within by Dead Can Dance. Soul moving. And if you can listen to Cantara and not feel utterly stunned, then you are lacking some soul. (And, sadly, I have watched a person listen to it and then go back to talking without even blinking.) Lisa Gerrard starts singing at about 2 minutes; put it on good speakers and listen to her voice build and build to the very end. I have listened to this song probably thousands of times and it never fails to give me goosebumps.

7. Places by Brad Mehldau. A jazz pianist who is two years younger than me and has already changed jazz piano so much that he has imitators. I can't possibly write about him without it sounding like hyperbole. But jazz critics feel the same way.

Okay, that was totally hard.

Here are the seven bloggers I am tagging:

Emma at Eriepressible (a fellow, local blogger!).

Caroline at the Zen in You.

Marisa at The Girl Who Cried Epiphany.

Sharon at Birdchick.

Diane at The Everything Yoga Blog.

Madelyn at Persisting Stars.

And Liz at Be Present, Be Here.

Play if you want!

2 comments:

maddie said...

oh! this is perfect ~ although
i am not the most educated in
music ~ just feeling my
way through albums since
i am so hooked on records as well ~
i do know some though so i will
ponder my list and join in ~

:) i really really love an album
i bought for TEN CENTS yesterday
that is so profoundly joyous and
uplifting i can hardly contain myself:)

i am off to check your links now
~ and am already a huge fan of
dead can dance

Kvatch said...

Neil has simply never made a misstep in his entire singer/song writing career...

Not so. I'm as big a Neil Finn/Crowded House/Finn Brothers fan as exists, but 'Time on Earth' is a bit of a mess -- just didn't recapture the magic of Crowded House in my opinion.

(BTW: I'm the blogger who added the other Crowded House work to Robert Rouse's Blogger Album Project.)