Thursday, November 20, 2008

RandomBliss: Turning 40

My best present, though
I am looking forward to the pile
awaiting me this evening!

Listening to: Even at 40, one of my all time favorite videos.

Bliss: My life. My partner. My animal friends. My writing. All the books I still have to read. All the music and wine I still have to sample.

I timed this post so that it would go live at 5 AM today -- the exact time that, forty years ago, I "went live."

Forty.

For a while now, I haven't been quite sure how I feel about this. Of course, it's "better than the alternative," but beyond that obvious fact, I've been feeling a little down. Judging myself for all I have not accomplished rather than focusing on and being thankful for all that I have accomplished and experienced.

And then a friend of ours went back in the hospital and he needs surgery -- again and too soon and my, we are all so worried about him and feeling quite sad at what very likely may be happening.

This easily puts things in perspective, doesn't it?

To hold onto that perspective when there isn't something there to remind you -- that is the key to a well lived life, a life always on purpose, a life lived in every minute.

So that is going to be my 40th birthday present to myself: Permanent Perspective.

The perspective that life is always excellent right now.

The perspective that no matter what happens, all will be well. (Thanks, Julian of Norwich!)

The perspective that we are here to be happy. Period.

The perspective that it is my mind and my spirit that creates this life and through my choices it manifests.

The perspective that love is all that matters -- and not the number of books I have or have not published or the size of my waist or the contents of my bank account.

The perspective that in every breath is an eternity.

I think this is worth eating some cake about!

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

4-0 was the best Birthday of my life-way better than 30! Enjoy the best is yet to be..and HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!

Carolyn M

Tess said...

The blissiest of blissy birthdays to you! 40 is a really good age to be - and it doesn't even go downhill afterwards!
Blissful blossoming blessings!

treehousejukebox said...

Happy, Happy Birthday, Christine!

nanakin1 said...

Happy Birthday! May your 40s be blissful.
Happy Hugs,
Nancy

Jennifer Hugon said...

Happy Birthday Christine! I hope your day is a fabulous one. And Duran Duran is always a good call ;)

All the Best,
Jennifer

Lil said...

Happy Birth-Day dear Christine!

Permanent Perspective. Yep. During the chaos or hardships that is difficult, but as Dr. Eckhart would say, that is the key to living in the now.

42 in another month here. And while I'm not wishing away my 40's, I am looking forward to the wiser 50's.

Peace, especially today, to you...
Lil xo

Kavindra said...

Happy Birthday!

40 is great, and it only gets better, I promise you.

Your blog alone touches so many people and inspires them ... that I know your life must do the same... how could anyone worry about accomplishing more than that? (Tho you still have alot left in you to do I know :)

Teaching Kids Yoga said...

Happy Birthday,

I stopped counting! It reminds me of what Yogi Bhajan used to say, something like:

It's not the life that matters, it's the courage you bring to it!

You've got all kinds of blissful courage.

Have a great day.
- Aruna

bojosmom said...

Happiest Birthday! May your forties be filled with love and peace and all good things.

Pink Heels said...

Happy Birthday Beautiful! Celebrate like a rockstar!

differenceayearmakes said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY!

40 is a great age - your perspective improves from here - but of course the hanging on to it part can be a challenge :).

ecoyogi said...

Happy birthday Christine! 40 was so empowering for me. I'm looking at 50 now. Like wine and cheese women keep getting better with age.

Love to you on your landmark day! And many many more happy healthy days and years.

P.S. Your kitty is the cutest!

paris parfait said...

40 is the start of an amazing decade - you'll see for yourself. Wishing you the happiest of birthdays and a great year ahead!

nollyposh said...

To be forty is to be ~fabulous~
enough years either side to have a beautiful view of that done and that yet to come... HaPpY BiRtHdAy Bliss chickie X:-)

Luci said...

Happy Birthday! I am newman-oing it in your honor!

Nerdy Renegade said...

Wonderful!

Perspective is indeed one of the best gifts to keep with you for the rest of your life.

Welcome to your best decade yet!!!

:-)

Sarah Hough said...

Happy Bealted birthday, may each year be better than the previous one! Sarah