Thursday, December 25, 2008

RandomBliss: Finding Your Wings (Perhaps under the tree...)

A very old angel, who once lost her head.

Listening to: Something in Welsh.

Bliss: Stockings waiting to be unwrapped. Music in the background. All the candles lit and the tree. Purring animals (and one who hops). Love, gentle love.

To be truthful, I have always found a fondness for angels to be, well, trite...or kitschy. It's just one of those things that I thought I had to think. (I know that might not make sense...)

But a few weeks ago, I felt myself suddenly attracted to these ethereal and winged creatures. I felt slight embarrassed. What to do?

But then my partner helped me to pick my word for 2009: Fly.

Now it all comes together for me: When I am attracted to images of angels, it is because I am feeling my own wings strengthen.

The golden moments in the stream of life rush past us
and we see nothing but sand;

the angels come to visit us, and we only
know them when they are gone.

-George Elliot


It is not because angels are holier
than men or devils that makes them angels,

but because they do not expect holiness
from one another, but from God alone.

-William Blake


The soul at its highest is found like God,
but an angel gives a closer idea of Him.

That is all an angel is: an idea of God.
-Meister Eckhart


Millions of spiritual creatures walk the earth
Unseen, both when we wake and when we sleep.
-John Milton, Paradise Lost


An angel can illuminate the thought and mind of man
by strengthening the power of vision.
-St Thomas Aquinas


Make yourself familiar with the angels
and behold them frequently in spirit;
for without being seen,
they are present with you.
-St. Francis De Sales


We shall find peace. We shall hear angels,
we shall see the sky sparkling with diamonds.
-Chekov


To love for the sake of being loved is human,
but to love for the sake of loving is angelic.
-Alphonse de Lamartine


Let us be silent that we may
hear the whisper of God.

-Ralph Waldo Emerson

1 comment:

epiphanygirl said...

I have felt exactly the same way! To talk of angels or to feel any connection with them is to believe in the sincerity of Hallmark greeting cards and lose all my credibility as an intellectual being. But I think I have been secretly opening up to them, and I will treasure these bits of angelic wisdom.

I hope your Christmas was blessed and beautiful.
Marisa