Tuesday, May 19, 2009

The Healing Power of An Animal Companion


Today, it is sunny out and the temperature should rise steadily through the morning. I am glad for this; the warmth of the sun on my skin is one of the most rejuvenating things in this life.

I am feeling the need for some rejuvenation after those last two, very long, intense-to-write posts so a quick one today.

I could not believe last night when I realized that I had forgotten in my "relationship" section of yesterday's post to include the love of our animal companions. I mean, we know, for sure, that just to pet a cat lowers your blood pressure.

When my depression was at its absolute worst -- its main "crisis" point -- I had just met the cat above, Ernest Hemingway, for whom we had many nicknames but a favorite of mine was Little e.

He was just a kitten and he had the wisdom of an ancient Buddha. He would sit with me for hours, just staring at me, just looking into my eyes.

But the one thing Marcy will never forget was a night when some things had gone horribly wrong, and I finally, finally was just sleeping. Sleeping like the dead, really. Marcy was busying herself in the apartment and she would come in to check on me, but she didn't have to.

For that entire night, Ernie, tiny kitten, Little e, sat on my chest and stared at me. He sat up; he never once fell asleep.

Ernie passed from his fur suit to his sparkle suit about 2 years ago. He was already an angel in my life. He remains so.

(Photo Credit: Christine Reed, Ernie)

13 comments:

differenceayearmakes said...

I read somewhere that dogs are pure love focused on you - that is why they sleep when you're not there.

All I know is that my Lady dog and now my Scarlett give me great joy, comfort and love.

Ketzirah Carly said...

I think you know the importance of animal companions in my world. Petting a bunny has to be one of the most therapeutic things I've ever experienced.

A good nudge at my ankles or Derby running to greet me at the door -- just the ultimate in soothing.

YogaforCynics said...

There were times growing up when it seemed the only real friends I had were the family's two dogs--they, alone, didn't think there was anything wrong with me, or that I needed to be any different than I was. Now, I don't have a living condition suited for the kind of animal companion I most desire (I'm a big, galumphing dog kinda guy), though I just got a call asking me to dogsit my favorite little Labrador mix for the weekend...the thought of which really lights up my morning....

positively present said...

Animals are absolutely amazing. I cannot imagine my life without one. Have you heard of the story of Christian the lion? You should google it. It makes me so happy!

Bohemian Single Mom said...

So true. What a perfect angel to have during your time of crisis.
Little e looks just like my Gilbert - another cat who can pick up on my moods and give me his undivided attention and hours of eye to eye contact. :)

Emma said...

Yes! I love our kitties!

Emma said...

We are truly blessed with our animal companions. I felt tears well reading the first comment to your post that 'dogs are pure love...'
My Molly has been a real gift, and as she copes with cancer, our time together is very precious. I would not have missed a moment of the past six years.
EmmaW

Donna Heart said...

Thanks for that helpful tip on photoshop - I'll grab ten minutes today and see what I can work out! I spent christmas in Erie many moons ago - what a lovely place - and I still have dear friends who live there! Thanks for stopping by, X Donna

tinkerbell the bipolar faery said...

My cat does the same when I am sick with pneumonia or extremely depressed. Also, when I cannot sleep, she will come and sit close to me, so I can hear her purr. Her purring sends me off to sleep.

Cat's Wiskers said...

This makes me cry. I understand. He is a beautiful cat.

Tess said...

I'm just catching up on blog reading after a few days and am using this post to say firstly how fantastic your writing and truth-telling has been lately and secondly yes you're right about animals and their healing powers.
I think it's to do with the present-ness of their instincts. Their concentration is not on the past or the future, and so they can be really with us.

Nerdy Renegade said...

*so*very*awesome*

Love the look on his face in that photo!

Jaliya said...

Hi, Christine ... I love how you wrote of a "fur suit" and a "sparkle suit" -- :-)

My cats are the one failsafe my soul seems to have NO MATTER WHAT. Somehow, they reach me when no human can.

There's nothing more soothing, more inner-peace-making, than the presence of a softened, contented cat ... and the purr, of course, is a miracle ...