Monday, May 25, 2009

An Iconic Sunday


During the summer, Erie is a city of ethnic festivals, and this Sunday, Marcy and I kicked off the season by attending the first annual Russian Festival. (Marcy has a video inside the church over at her blog and a video of something else we did this weekend.)

We can see the Russian Orthodox church perched up on a cliff from the library down by the water, and this Sunday, we finally got to see inside. So, here is a little tour. The iconography on the walls was done by one of the priests who resides at this church; he is considered one of the top three iconographers in the country and you can see why.

One of the framed icons on the wall was from the 14th century.

Amazing stuff.

When we left the church, the Brig Niagara was sailing into port. In that photo, at the bottom, you are only seeing the Bay, edged by the peninsula -- beyond that is the Lake.

To the left of the photo is the library where Marcy works.








6 comments:

Emma said...

WOW, this church is amazing!

This reminds me that I visited a Russian Orthodox church somewhere in western PA some years ago, but I forgot which one and where. It was remarkable, but not as remarkable as this beautiful place you've posted about!

Also, what an awesome ship! :)

Nerdy Renegade said...

Wow again!

Breathtaking photos! Made me want to be there in person.

Glad you're having a fun weekend :-)

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

OMG! You must know how much this appeals to my art/architecture/ sacred space loving self! Thank you for sharing such great images.

xo

Anonymous said...

I'm glad I decided to read you at work today.... those pics are amazing! ( I have dial up at home and it would take hours for me to see all those great images!!)

~karmacoy

tinkerbell the bipolar faery said...

What lovely photos. That church is stunningly beautiful. Enjoy the rest of your memorial day!

svasti said...

How lucky you are to live near so much gorgeousness!