Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Savouring Versus Going Through the Motions


I do well with routine. In this house, the Lilypad, we refer to me as a "Schedule Cat." When my schedule is off, I am off. This includes bed time, feedings, all of it.

It also includes my creativity and the flow of my day.

But like any life, there is the danger of getting in a rut, not really paying attention, just going through the motions.

I get to the point where I am doing yoga at 4 P.M., because I am scheduled to do yoga at 4 P.M.

For Wishcasting Wednesday today, Jamie asks us What Do You Wish to Savour? (We will retain the English/Canadian spelling because we like it!)

Savouring is just another word for being mindful.

When you eat a really good meal, a large part of the reason that it is good -- besides the excellent cooking -- is that you are paying attention. You are just eating. You are probably not also watching television. You are chewing and noticing you are chewing, as Thich Nhat Hanh would say. There is a good chance you are rolling your eyes up into your head and making little groaning sounds.

I wish to savour my creative life with this level of focused, sensual mindfulness.

When I am writing, I don't want to just have the end in mind. The finished product.

There is so much about writing to savour. I want to notice the play of my mind and how much I am in the zone when that happens. I have a beautiful pen, an old typewriter, a great computer, an orange writing room with a window overlooking the street, music floating in and around the room...

There is so much to savour.

There is so much about yoga to savour. I want to notice the efficiency of my body, the stretch of my muscles, the sound of my own breath. The way it can feel like all thinking stops. Those wonderful times when I am chanting and it feels like my mind is as large as the sky...

There is so much to savour.

I wish to savour the moment of conceiving new ideas and scritch-scratching them down on my pink legal pads

I wish to savour this quiet life that makes poetry possible so that I might catch words as they fly over my head.

I wish to savour the privilege of sitting here, listening to the clickity-clack of the trimming shears as Marcy works in the yard, and writing for so many thoughtful, generous, and kind hearted readers.

I wish to savour this life.

How about you? What do you wish to savour?

(Photo Credit: Christine C. Reed, Clematis, 2009)

30 comments:

Holly said...

Christine! This was great...and gave me something else to kick around in the tin can that is my brain!

As you wish for yourself, so I lovingly and with intention wish for you, also!

Here's to being open, aware and in love with our lives!

Lori-Lyn said...

As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also...what a beautiful post. Good things to think about.

Michelle said...

Great post. I find myself running through life way too often. I live in the city surrounded by lots of PEOPLE. I need to savour them more - those I know and those I don't know....

Jamie said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

What a beautiful post, Christine! There is so much to savour. What a beautiful mantra. I might just say it to myself all week. There is so much to savour.

And thanks for keeping that Canadian spelling! hehe.

Janet said...

Lovely, lovely, lovely. I was on the same path as you seem to be. my first thought about savouring something was to savour tranquil moments. to absorb the quiet and have it settle in my soul. although the strawberries and cookies look delish too! My wish will have to come this evening after work though.

Christine, that which you wish for, I wish for you also. Thanks so much for sharing.

honeygeorge said...

Good Morning Christine,

I'm wondering if 'SAVOURING' and 'SMELLING THE ROSES/COFFEE' is
somewhat similiar. In a philosophy course I took we learned to pause briefly between events in our day to focus on what we had just experienced and to separate each action into it's own segment rather than a contiuous stream of activity. Stress relieving in a busy life. Thank you for the provocative post

sema said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Sarah said...

As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also:)

Yes, yes, yes!!! I am a scheduled girl too!!! Yikes! You made me stop and go...hmmmmmm!!! Always a good thing. Wonderful, beautiful, savoury post!! Namaste, Sarah

Tabitha@ichoosebliss said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

I loved reading the things in which you wish to savour. All of them are wonderful things! :)

Jane said...

Beautiful wishes! As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

Anonymous said...

I love savouring.

I just got back from savouring family and a new city...I love to savour dark chocolate, red wine, my favorite song, kisses, and my 2 incredible cats.

I was away for all of the Wild Women exploration, busy being a wild woman myself!, and I'm proud to see what beauty y'all created. Cheers to all the wild women reading (and writing!) this blog.

Namaste
Jessica

Melinda said...

As Christine wishes I wish for her also!

quinncreative said...

I already do savor life, but I wish to do so more mindfully. I'm a little scattered lately.

For Christine and everyone who posted: Holly, Lori-Lynn, Michelle, Jamie, Janet, Honey-George,Sema, Sarah, Tabitha, Jane, Melinda and Anonymous: As you wish for yourself, so I wish for you also.

Sara said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Lovely wishes. There really is so much to savour.

Toni said...

I got so excited about this post I'm sitting here almost forgetting to wish, for you, that which you wish for yourself! This is such wonderous thinking -- offer to Oprah for her magazine! It's really that good; very AWAKENING!

Peaceole said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so do I wish for her also.

Excellent post so well said!

Connie said...

I just got back from walking Nyla and I was thinking just this exact thing. Your beautiful Christine!!

Peace & Love.

Girlie-Queue said...

My gosh, thanks wow - and yes, let us *Savour"! As Christine wishes for herself, so too do I wish for Christine. Savouring her beautifully creative world!

Grace said...

I love the phrase you wrote "sensual mindfulness". I'm going to remember that one.

Emma said...

I'm going to say it like this pros do:

As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also!

Isn't the word savo(u)r great? Ahhh, I am savouring this moment of peace/delicious hot chocolate/fresh ocean air! (Those are examples. Unfortunately I am not savoring those all at this second. :)

Lately, I've been taking big sniffs of plants and flowers. I am savoring all their subtle and flamboyant scents!

P.S. You have such awesome, crazy flowers!

Kavindra said...

As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also.

Oh yeah, I can relate - I love it, schedule cat!

Lisa said...

Oh, I love this!

(And I can't possibly tell you how excited I am for the chance to perhaps savour some very special things in person with you next month! Even if it's doing yoga at 4pm...count me in!)

These days, I'm all about savouring:

~the ease and flow of summer days
~amazing vegan, gluten-free food
~time spent soaking in the presence of my new cat (who is an absolutely spectacular creature)
~intense physical intimacy
~the magical appearance of certain people in my life
~the chance to get to know myself better and better with each passing day

JFKlaver said...

When I was practicing yoga in CA, I learned that every asana is a prayer. With every breath and every thought, I pray a blessing into the world. Thank you for sharing.

Cindy said...

It's true! I just wrote about living a "vanilla" or "insipid life"... not really savoring our experiences and just settling for what's there. Schedules are unavoidable, but if you live in bliss, then they're just part of your adventure!

differenceayearmakes said...

As Christine wishes for herself, I wish for her also.

Kara aka Mother Henna said...

Here's to savoring the play of words and everything creative and lots of fulfilled wishes for BlissChick!

Heather Plett said...

A beautiful post and great reminder to slow down and be mindful.

As Christine wishes for herself, so do I wish for her.

Kim said...

As you wish for youself, I wish for you, too.

Donni said...

What an inspiring post, thankyou Christine! Loved, ".... it feels like my mind is as large as the sky..." What a sensation to savour! Whatever you wish for, I wish for you! :))

KnittingJourneyman said...

As Christine wishes for herself so I wish for her as well.