Friday, July 31, 2009

enCouragingBliss: Movement = Bliss, Part 2


Yesterday after I wrote about movement and its importance in our quest to be more present, more mindful, I realized that I'd not said everything I wanted to say. (When will that happen, I wonder?!)

That post grew out of many thoughts coming together suddenly in one specific moment.

The moment that happened was a vital part of the story of the idea.

Every day now, I do a variety of movement work. I usually take a bike ride or walk some time early in the day. I have added arm weights to my daily routine. And, finally, around 2 or 3, I have the Big Sweat. Three days a week, I do very traditional dance work. All the other days, it's kundalini yoga.

Wednesday was a dance day.

I have learned recently about letting go of the concept of dance and dancer and just focusing on how my body wants to move. This is a sideways sort of focus.

You know how at night if you want to see dimmer stars you look at them kinda askance, a bit out of the corner of your eye rather than directly?

That kind of focus. Sideways. Soft. With no grasping.

For dance, this means moving from the inside out. I don't try to "DANCE;" I don't choreograph myself.

There are these really lucky moments when it becomes pure meditation. I am so in my body that I am no longer thinking.

It feels ecstatic.

It was one of those moments that I got hit with the flash of inspiration that became yesterday's post.

And then I forgot to mention the importance of this. OYE.

You see, all movement is great, essential, wonderful. All of it will add to your being in your body which will add to your sense of the now and your awareness and eventually your overall enjoyment of your life.

You will become more spontaneous and more intuitive when you are more fully in your body.

But it is this ecstatic movement that will help you the most.

Think I'm pushing it? That maybe I'm just a bit full of crap?

Think of Rumi. Think of the Sufis. Think of the Whirling Freaking Dervishes!

Rumi's poetry did not come from sitting around on his butt!

Because here's the inherent paradox to all of this:

When you become fully in your body, you get to the point where you forget you are a body at all and that is when you are most open to your internal divinity and when you will feel the energy of God all around and in and through you.

So that is your assignment for this enCouraging Bliss: Find a way, a path, a method through which you can get to this ecstatic place.

Think back to when you were little...

Did you love doing cartwheel after cartwheel after cartwheel over the green grass?

Did you love riding your bike dangerously fast down big hills?

Did you love to run so hard that it felt like you could run right out of your skin?

Push yourself.

Reintroduce yourself to yourself.


(Photo & Text Copyright: Christine C. Reed, blisschick.net, 2009)

5 comments:

Grace said...

The weekend retreat I'm to in Sept will be ecstatic dance and trance dance joureying-I'm looking forward to that!

As far as ecstatic movements when I was a kid, I think I probably got there swinging away on my swing set. My sister I would sometimes swing in silence, other times we made up songs. We swung together, but we were in our own little worlds.

Sheila said...

Hmmmmmmmmmmmm...thinking of dance in particular I'm always blown away when I get to see ethnic dance of any sort, especially mideastern belly dance or best of all flamenco and gypsy dancing. The dancers don't seem to be 'doing steps' but having an essential melding with the music.

This comes on the heals of reading yesterday something that struck me as profound truth to the effect of 'you don't have a soul - you are a soul, a soul who has a body' and a true encouragement for a gal whose body struggles to get on through the pain of arthritis.

I suppose in youthful memory the most blissful/ecstatic movement I can recall were cross country runs. There really is something to the 'runner's high', I think.

claire bangasser said...

In a way, Christine, you're describing what walking the Camino is at its best. A sort of ecstatic moment through space and time and Nature.

Thank you.

lucy said...

recently i was doing some personal work and was asked to recall my relationship with my dad as a child. the most memorable moments with him came when we were doing somewhat risky movements - riding motorcycles, driving go carts and dune buggies - but i always felt safe. safe and alive. other moments throughout my life also come to mind --downhill skiing, riding my scooter, skydiving, feeling the wind in my hair in my little bug convertible.

thank you for these wonderful reminders of movement = bliss!

speck of dust said...

I just climbed a tree aged 37 for the first time in a very long time :D