Sunday, August 23, 2009

MysticBliss: Wild Woman Sister Joan Chittister



"If the people will lead, eventually the leaders will follow."
(Joan Chittister at the end of the above video.)

Amen to that! (The thesis of Blisschick is summed up right there.)

Many years ago, I was lucky enough to read this book by Sister Joan Chittister, who is one of the Wildest Women I know. (And who happens to live mere miles from the house in which I write this.)

She speaks out when she is told to be silent.

She writes about that which very few dare to write.

She speaks the truth about the Nonviolent Christ, the Hooker Loving Hippie whom I follow.

She dares -- dares -- to speak against war and torture and poverty and women's oppression. Imagine!

If you have never read her, take the time. This is not a Catholic Nun but a Wild Woman of Wisdom.

(In the above video, she really is especially wonderful after minute ten.)


(Text Copyright: Christine C. Reed, blisschick.net, 2009)

11 comments:

Linnea said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Linnea said...

Must read this book. How did this woman crawl inside my head and say exactly what I've been trying to tell everyone about my so-called "whacked-out spirituality" for years? Thank you so much for sharing this, and for introducing me to this wonderful soul.

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

Here's to all the "wild women" who are not afraid!

Susan said...

yes and yes!

claire bangasser said...

She is a fabulous woman. It is a great book. She has a column on NCR.
Thank you for the video :-) I had never seen it.

Heather Plett said...

Oh my GOSH! I LOVE this woman!! Why have I never heard of her before? I was practically jumping out of my chair and shouting "yes, yes, YES!" I really must get her book.

I was about to go for a nap, but now you've got me all fired up! I wanna be a wild woman like her (and not keep tripping over all of the crap of my conservative Christian upbringing)!

Tasmin said...

super fantastic wisdom!

claire bangasser said...

As I listened to Joan, I was reminded of another great talk, this time by Karen Armstrong on Compassion.
http://tinyurl.com/mc2mpx

Lisa said...

Thanks for sharing this video. I really appreciated it.

Jaliya said...

Amen, BlissChick :-)

Sister Joan is a gem.

Ditto Karen Armstrong -- her memoir, *The Spiral Staircase," is a knockout.

Jordi said...

I read one of her books thirteen years ago, and I see that her energy is still outstanding.
Her adult faith encourages many of us to seek liberation, and to free Jesus message from the patriarchal subversion.
Congratulations for the blog!