Wednesday, August 26, 2009

WishCasting: Acknowledging Your Brave Truth Telling


Just a couple of weeks ago, I acknowledged that my primary written expression right now is nonfiction...and that is okay. This is a big deal for a girl who has always had a prejudice that only novelists are "real" writers.

Well, this walking your bliss thing tends to end up being about peeling away layer after layer after layer, and I don't think there's an end in sight. ((sigh))

Today for Wishcasting Wednesday, Jamie asks:

What do you wish to acknowledge yourself for?

And I want to acknowledge myself for, pat myself on the back for, continuing this difficult work of being radically honest about who I am and what I want out of life.

It can be difficult to pay close enough attention to our old stories to notice what is not working for us anymore. To deconstruct when we are holding onto old ideas that are holding us back.

Holding onto this idea of "novelists are the only real writers" has kept me from working on projects that are just screaming to be heard. Projects that deserve to be written.

Yesterday, I had another of these ideas about myself knocked down a few more pegs.

Over the weekend, I had my epiphany about how, at some very essential level, I am a dancer -- and not a yogi. As I pointed out then, I will continue to study yoga philosophy and all other yoga components (especially chant).

Little did I know on Saturday, there were still more layers waiting to be peeled in this area.

Yesterday late afternoon, I was doing a set of Kundalini Yoga (NOT Ana Brett, I would like to add!). I was putting my all into it and sweating and really feeling it.

When I was finished, Marcy asked me what was wrong.

"Nothing. I'm just tired." (Typical non-answer!)

We sat. I wasn't really talking. (Very unusual!)

Marcy asked again, "Really...what's the matter. You look...MAD."

She was right! I was mad! And what makes me madder than anything in the world (just about)? I get mad when I am (drum roll) Bored.

Oh. My. God. I was mad because yoga had bored me. My body wanted more. My body wanted the challenge of dance. The creativity of dance. The wild abandon and the mindfulness and the total unification of my mind, body, and heart of dance.

This is possibly not a popular thing to say: Yoga is boring me.* But there it is. And it's not about you; it's about me, and that is my truth.

(*Yoga has saved my mental health. It has brought me to where I am and I will still be a student of Ravi Singh and Ana Brett -- who are moving toward Yoga Dance themselves.)

I acknowledge that I am brave in my truth-telling.

And that is what is about you: are you brave in your truth-telling? Are you holding back some truth from yourself because it is not particularly popular right now? Do you do things because everyone else is and there must be something there for you too?

What Truth Story are you avoiding because it doesn't fit into your Idea of You?


(Text & Photo Copyright: Christine C. Reed, blisschick.net, 2009)

33 comments:

Lawendula said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.
Enjoy! :)

Tabitha@ichoosebliss.net said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

As Christine wishes this for her, so I wish for her as well.

And yay, for your bravery as you acknowledge this part of you!

WRO

Sarah said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

Whoo hoo..don't ya love that...those moments of truth. Bright and shiney and OMG!!! I found the same thing...funny that. I love yoga...loooove it! I had danced for years and years and the yoga was not enough. I started belly dancing....just for me and I looove it too!!! I look forward to hearing where this leads you!!!
Namaste, Sarah

Deldino said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.
May the layers get easier and easier to peel away.

Holly said...

Hey Blissy....

I have to say, I really found this post interesting. I can hear the static in your voice as you're talking here. I can hear the determination to see this through to its next level.

How do we turn mad into motivation? Or is that the spark that brings about movement?

As Christine acknowledges about herself, so I lovingly acknowledge about her, also.

Here's to be courageous enough to sometimes lead, but also follow the dance.

WrightStuff said...

As I write this I'm half way through my own post and I got so excited to read your statement that 'real writers don't have to be novelists'. It's something I too am coming to understand. When I set myself a resolution this January to write every day it was meant to be about fiction, and although I still want to write that book, by blogging I have discovered the pure joy of putting words on 'screen' and creating.
I'm with you there girl!

As you wish to acknowledge for yourself, so I wish to acknowledge with you. Well done!

Girlie-Queue said...

Holy Catskills but I love you woman! Dudess! This is the bravery of which I speak when I think of the people with whom I want to surround myself!

As the BlissChick so rockin'ly acknowledges herself, her bravery, her honesty, so too do I acknowledge the BlissChick. HotDawg.
~Shamsi

Anna said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her. - Bold Truth Teller :-)

Ellecubed said...

Thank you so much for this wonderful and thought provoking post on telling your truth.

As Christine wishes to acknowledge herself, so I wish to acknowledge her also.

Carmen said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I, Carmen wish to acknowledge with her and her lovely truth. No matter what.

Emma said...

I want to honor your truth-telling, too! You are brave and bold and persistent!

Pamela said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge her also.

Thank you for this brave and inspiring self-acknowledgement and message! :)

Stefanie said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge and honor her brave and truth-telling self, so I wish to acknowledge her as well.

Wishing that we all move towards such courage.

Yay Christine!

Giulietta said...

Hi Christine,

Non-fiction can as hard to write as fiction and sometimes harder. It needs to be truthful, which means one cannot hide behind a character of fiction. I love writing my truth. It seemed scary at first but it's helped me to help myself and others! I wish for you to acknowledge your desire to dance and write truthful non-fiction.

Giulietta

Marisa @ Getting Back To Basics said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

Thanks for being honest!

Kavindra said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

And what would be more boring ... if we were all the same and needed the same expressive genres, meditative techniques, etc, or if we never changed, evolved, became someone new with new needs and loves?

Jamie Ridler said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge herself, so I wish to acknowledge her also.

Here's to your truth-telling, brave-spirited, non-fiction writing, sparkling dancer self!

sema said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

Diva Kreszl said...

As Christine acknowledges herself, so I acknowledge her as well! Here's to the journey of discovering who you are...everchanging!

Silky Hart said...

As Christine acknowledges for herself, so I acknowledge for her also.

And here's to your splendid nonficiton writer, dancer lover SELF! Yay for you!

Lisa said...

I am proud to say that I am bravely telling more truth about myself, to myself (and to others) than I have in a very, very long time.

Yesterday I came across this OSHO quote: "...Striving after truth is a distraction and a postponement. It is the lie's way to hide. See the lie, look deep into the lie...Because to see the lie is to cease to lie...The moment the lie disappears, truth is there in all its beauty and radiance. In the seeing of the lie, it disappears, and what is left is the truth."

I am also very aware of our ego's tendency to trick us into believing lies (disguised as truth). As we progress further on our spiritual paths, becoming more our True Selves and our pure consciousness, the ego will play all kind of tricks to attempt to trip us up.

For me, at this point in my journey, yoga and meditation (and spiritual reading, esp. the Work of Bryon Katie) are the absolute tools to remedy this built-in error message with which we are all born.

May we be constantly lead from darkness into Light.

Hari Om Tat Sat

Summer Raven said...

AS Christine wishes to acknowlege herself as a truth teller, I do so as well. A very admirable virtue!

Linnea said...

Always hold your own truth to be self-evident. As Christine wishes (and acknowledges) for herself, so I do for her also.

differenceayearmakes said...

As Chritine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

*g(r)ow little glow worm, glitter, glitter*

Jennifer said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.


Here's to your Beautiful Dance of Truth~

Lisa K said...

Thank you for that astounding mirror. I just realized that, I too, get MAD when I'm bored. WOW.
ok...back to you.

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Janet said...

Awesome! As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge her also.

Jane said...

christine,

This was a very moving and powerful post. It takes guts to break ourselves down and do the hard work to get to the center. I really believe that the true essense of who we are is always there in the center waiting to be excavated and honored. I'm listening to Martha Beck"s "Finding your true Northstar" on CD. In it, she talks about having 2 selves: our essential self and our social self. The essential self is the true you and the social self is the you that has been conditioned by society. She says we can't get to our true Northstar if both selves don't line up. I think maybe your social self has been thinking that you can only write novels to be taken seriously and do certain forms of yoga to express yourself. It sounds like the essential you KNOWS what your true callings are. Take joy in these discoveries. Sorry for rambling ;))

Tisha said...

Yes, you are brave in your truth-telling! Here's to more bravery, more peeling back of layers to the juice, more feeling of it all! You are creating magic!

karmacoy said...

As Christine so bravely acknowledges about herself, I too wish to acknowledge for her as well.

Environmental Soul said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I wish to acknowledge with her.

Thanks for putting this post up. It led me to do my first WushCasting post.

Lani Gerity said...

As Christine wishes to acknowledge about herself, so I blissfully wish to acknowledge with her.