Saturday, September 26, 2009

MusicBliss: Hearing with New Ears

Today, I want to share music from someone who surprised me by being more than I had thought they were.

As a child of the 80's, I have kept Cyndi Lauper in a box labeled "frivolous," but Dr. Captain America from our writing group has always LOVED her and kept making us listen to her new stuff. I was slowly (like an Iceberg) changing my mind and then I saw this:



Watch it to the end. The arrangement is amazing and her voice -- oye! Beyond amazing! Gives me CHILLS every. single. time.

Now...think for a moment: Is there someone you have labeled in a certain way and perhaps it's really about your inability to see?

How about you? Do you do this to yourself?

8 comments:

Ketzirah (Carly) said...

What a great arrangement! Cyndi Lauper seems to be appearing a lot lately. I saw her on "Bones" the other night.

That really is a fantastic reinvention of that song. I've been thinking a lot lately about how we tend to neatly package people where they are comfortable for us in our memories. I'm working on a presentation for a conference (for the day-job) about how we've done this to the Boomer generation and need to stop acting like they are who they were 30 years ago, especially the older end of the generation.

Jackie said...

I have in the past said oh I'll never like this only to find myself at a later time in my life embracing it. I mean look at the stigma attached to tattoos at one time and now its embraced as art.I used to hate the color Blue and now I like it . So I know now to never say never:) I like cyndi lauper and her newer stuff. I like the message that we can reinvent ourselves .As long as I am always reinventing I am alive.
Hugs and hope you have a wonderful dig.

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

oh YEAH baby! that kicked it for me Christine, thx for posting!

WRO

Anna said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE and have always LOVED Cyndi Lauper glad you're coming around :-)

Anonymous said...

Captain America gives two thumbs up to this blog entry! :)

Tess said...

Great track! I hadn't realised she's still recording. Just been listening to some of her more recent recordings, so thanks for that.

I loved the earlier stuff as well. Like your iceberg, perhaps a few more layers than initially appear.

Kiki said...

What a fantastic version! Did you see Cyndi on the season premiere of Bones? She was perfectly cast.

Thanks for the inspiration!

Karen D said...

I've always loved her, she does have an amazing voice and she is quirky which I always like.