Sunday, October 11, 2009

MysticBliss: Wild Woman Marge Champion

This past week at Kripalu, someone brought up Marge Champion. The name meant nothing to me, but it does now. This woman is my new hero, my new model for living.

Marge Champion was married to Gower Champion and they were an important dance team during Hollywood's greatest dancing era, the 1940's and '50's. (You know of my love of the films of Gene Kelly and many others.)

But this is not why she is my new hero.

The comment about her was this: "At the age of 90, Marge Champion is still taking four dance classes a week."

FOUR.

At NINETY.

Suddenly, all my age-related excuses seem rather ridiculous.

Thank God.

Here is a lovely black and white film of Marge and Gower dancing, redone to the Magnetic Fields' song Nothing Matters When We're Dancing (and how true is that!?):


10 comments:

Raspberry Stethoscope said...

Love it!

Sallie Ann said...

This video is beautiful! I love the music and am completely obsessed with the dress. I've been thinking a lot about aging lately. But, my mom just turned 60 and has never been in such great shape. She's gotten a nip and tuck, here and there, but no overhaul. She clearly feels comfy in her skin. So, I just try to keep placing my feet in her wonderful prints ahead of me!

Stacy Hurt said...

Wow, the were Awesomely Good! Their line, & never taking their eyes off each other & her arms & his were always part of the dance with each other, does that make sense? Really great! I'm such a Fred & Ginger fan & Gene & Syd too. LOVE those dancers!!! The music was totally enchanting! So, so lovely. What a lovely; beautiful way to start a Sunday! Thank you!

Stacy Hurt said...

P.S. Has anyone nominated Cher yet? or this lovely lady over at 'The Daily Coyote~ Shreve Stockton'. This post of hers captures all she's done and then some. Take a look
http://www.dailycoyote.net/?p=1576 trust me; she's ALL THAT!

Anonymous said...

I love the movie " Shall we dance? " with Jennifer Lopez and Richard Gere.It portrais exactly my believe of aging making people better, "like old-good wine" mmmmmmmmm!

cream_city_chick-A-DEE said...

How lovely! My Dad taught me how to dance to a Strauss waltz. And I used to fantasize about dancing in a dress like that. What a shame that we don't do that anymore. But, what a pleasure to see the great dancers on film!

svasti said...

Their dancing is beautiful! And that's the sort of 90 year old I want to be - one who hasn't given in to the idea that old = less mobile, less capable.

It so doesn't have to be that way if we keep our bodies and minds in good shape!

Expressive Hart said...

It certainly blows any excuse about being too old to dance! Love the video.

Amy said...

I can't even tell you how this video of Marge affected me. It is SO TRUE that "nothing matters when we are dancing." Also, like you, I am inspired by her dance lessons each week and believe that I can and WILL become an even better dancer myself, no matter what age I am. Oh, thank you, thank you, for this wonderful post.

Tess said...

Fantastic! The sentiment is absolutely right, and I've just favourited the video.