Tuesday, November 17, 2009

A BreakUp for New Year's

I've written about my personal struggle with body image right here, and we had a very interesting discussion around body image and yoga right here.

This stuff hits nerves, ya know?

As I dance my way to better fitness, I have had to be very careful to eat correctly, which for me mostly means eating enough. Here's the thing: If you don't eat enough, your body goes into a Panic about Starvation. Your body fears there won't be enough for tomorrow, so it holds onto what it already has extra tight. It grips.

You will not lose weight in a healthy manner or gain muscle and stamina if you eat too little. Period.

I can tell when I am lifting weights, for example, if I ate correctly two days before. (I think my energy level is two days behind my eating habits.)

If I did not eat enough calories, or enough protein specifically, my muscles immediately feel tired. They get this deep ache after just a few lifts.

There is a big and important lesson in there, and as usual, my body is way smarter than my brain.

Years ago, I was so obsessed with my weight, that I would weigh myself not just daily but many times a day. I would go to the bathroom and think, "Hmmmm...I just took a piss...I wonder if I weigh less now?"

Yep. Obsessed.

I know I am not alone.

So Marcy, in her infinite wisdom, made me do something that I am grateful for to this day: She made me throw that scale away.

And with it, sitting out at the curb, went much of my Self Hate.

I no longer had that number with which to bludgeon myself. I could not insert it into some sick, malignant mantra of Judgment.

I know many of you are already coming up with a half dozen reasons why you can't do this. You are freaking out inside. You are breaking into a cold sweat.

But, why? Ask yourself, Why do you need this number?

Why can't you rely on how you feel? On how strong you are? On how far you can run? On how your clothes fit?

Why can't we accept our individual beauty for what it is?

We must stop the tyranny of this Evil lurking in our bathrooms.

I call on you all, you Blisschicks, to participate in

World Wide Dump Your Scale Day
on January 1, 2010.


That's right -- January 1st. That day so many of us would be starting some unmanageable weight loss plan. That day so many of us would hit the gym -- too hard and be done within a month. That day that is shiny and new in its (false) promises.

Instead of torturing yourself, I want you to set yourself FREE. Set your friends free. Set an example for all the little girls around us.

Kick that scale to the curb. Say bu-bye.

Pass this around. Here's a blog button you can use if you feel strongly about this.


Just click it and drag it onto your desktop and paste it into your blog.

Stop the Tyranny of Numbers!

Eat well, exercise to a good sweat, and laugh every day. That's a much better New Year's Resolution, don't you think?

18 comments:

Linnea said...

Hubby uses ours and will probably object to me throwing it out, but I don't use it. When I was a senior in college the fitness center put on a program about healthy lifestyles and body image issues. One of the speakers opened her presentation by taking a set of scales and throwing them in a garbage can. Then she turned to the audience and said, "I wish every single one of you would do that."

I didn't overcome my own exercise issues for a couple of years later, but that made an impact. I've rarely gotten on a scale since, unless I'm at the doctor, where they make you. :-P

Eco Yogini said...

I love this!!! Andrew is going to the gym and was panicking that he was losing too much weight (not eating enough to offset his calorie loss). I hate it when he talks in calories and numbers- and we are working on that.

we don't have a scale- never did :)

WOOT WOOT

Emma said...

Oh, here's the revolution I heard about!

"Eat well, exercise to a good sweat, and laugh every day." I like that a lot!

I have never had a scale, so I can't participate but I am cheering on everyone who does!

differenceayearmakes said...

"Eat well, exercise to a good sweat, and laugh every day." Now there's a New Year Resolution to cheer for! You need a Wild Woman NYR button of this to assist us faltering ones to remember throughout the new year.

I've been thinking about NYRs for 2010 - always begins about Thanksgiving - and the thought occurred to me "What if I just set the goal to love and appreciate my body? Wouldn't that lead me to give it loving care? Maybe then I could sneak up on those unhealthy habits I bemoan and have more success at breaking them?"

And I agree with throwing out the scale - we so judge ourselves by the number.

Laura Hegfield said...

Hello my fellow blog travelers, inspirers, angels, artists, writers, gentle good HUMANS,

Yesterday I had this wonderful Idea! To create a special blog for American Thanksgiving with gratitude quotes from many people I know...some of you received the request below....My Blogging Co-ConSpiritor Deb Whaley asked me a great question-would I mind if she did the same thing on her blog? OMG...this was the best idea ever! So now I am asking all of you on my blog roll to consider joining in to make this a worldwide BLOGGING GRATITUDE EVENT...I LIKE THE IDEA OF MOBIUS...BECAUSE IT NEVER ENDS...LIKE LOVE...I LIKE THE IDEA OF QUILT BECAUSE IT'S A PATCHWORK OF COLORS AND WORDS STITCHED TOGETHER...AGAIN WITH LOVE... A BLANKET OF GRATITUDE TO WRAP AROUND THE WORLD!

I know that some of you are in other countries and do not celebrate Thanksgiving on Thursday November 26 like in the US, but I figure every day is an opportunity to share our gratitude so why not just all do it on the same day?!!!

So below you can read the simple message I put out...my REQUEST TO YOU, IF YOU SHOULD CHOOSE TO ACCEPT THIS LOFTY ASSIGNMENT, IS TO COLLECT A TON OF GRATITUDE QUOTES FROM YOUR FRIENDS, FAMILY, COLLEAGUES...AND THEN FORWARD THIS MESSAGE TO YOUR BLOG BUDDIES...SO THIS WILL GROW AND GROW AND GROW INTO A WORLD WIDE EVENT.

I AM VERY SICK RIGHT NOW...THERE IS NOT A WHOLE LOT I CAN DO PHYSICALLY TO DO TIKKUN OLAM (REPAIR THE WORLD) BUT THIS IS ONE THING I CAN DO...PLEASE HELP ME WITH THIS AND MAKE THIS THE MOST AMAZING BLOGGING EFFORT TO WAKE EVERYBODY UP TO THE BLESSINGS THAT ABOUND IN THEIR LIVES...IT IS TOO EASY TO GET CAUGHT UP IN THE DETAILS OF OUR LIVES ...WE NEED SOMETIMES TO BE REMINDED OF HOW WONDERFUL OUR LIVES TRULY ARE.

IF THIS FEELS TOO BIG, TOO OVERWHELMING ...FORGET ABOUT IT...THAT IS NOT MY INTENTION FOR ANYONE...BUT IF IT FEELS LIKE A GOOD HEALTHY CHOICE FOR YOU...THEN PLEASE JOIN ME IN THIS QUEST FOR MORE GRATITUDE, MORE JOY, MORE AWARENESS OF THE GOODNESS INFUSED IN THE WORLD!


LOVE TO ALL,
LAURA

AS most of you know you know by now..I have trouble with language...I worry about my blog...it very important to me...I'm thinking ahead to Thanksgiving...I would like it if all of you special earth angels would right a sentence or two about what you are grateful for in your life...in the moment you recieve this message...or the minute you have time to get to it...but be present in that exact moment when you write. don't think too much...just close eyes...breathe into the moment and allow feeling of gratitude to arise...then write words that flow from you deep well of truth. OK?

then send to me...I publish for thanksgiving blog...I was hoping for interview with cami walker...but not sure that will happen...that ok...life all about changes.

some of you are very present voices online, in books, as teachers, coaches...also just my friends...all voices important...please do this for me, for us for all the world...we all have much to be grateful for....

I know this sacred task I ask of you...I know some of you shy and also busy people...it not take long for you to do this...it mean so much to me and other people when the read what you say...it can even be silly...that fine...happiness a good thing

if you too shy or busy, I understand...but i think this be amazing outpouring of gratitude for world

love to you all

Laura
http://www.shinethedivine.com
Reveal Your Sacred Spark & Realize Your Creative Dreams
...breath by breath...moment by moment...step by step.

Linda-Sama said...

I dumped my scale back in 1977 when I lost over 60 pounds!

jelly said...

i don't even own a scale! they aren't allowed in my home.
i think this is a brilliant idea you have...scales, who needs 'em?

:-)

as long as we eat well, get some sort of excersize and laugh everyday, we shoud be fine.

Rachel said...

We haven't had a scale in our house for four years, and we're much better off for it :D

AnalieseMarie said...

Thank you for posting this. Women in this culture truly are tyrannized by size and weight. It's so important to keep in mind that everyone's body is unique. I run and do yoga because it makes me FEEL good and makes me feel good about my body. I build muscle so easily that, ironically, when I am in super workout mode, I tend to actually weigh more. I eagerly await the day that we start genuinely acknowledging and celebrating the great diversity of beautiful body types.

TINA VAUGHN said...

I support it! Stopped using one LONG ago as part of my body/mind healing.

Now I am humbled by my body and we use intuition to communicate with each other, and speaking as someone who nearly destroyed her health and gambled with death over "perfection", this is progress and a manifestatin of self-love.

Throw them out!

onasilentsea said...

haven't had a scale since i left outpatient treatment for and eating disorder. probably one of the best things i've done in my life.

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

I have been scale free for 21 years. But, honey, this idea of yours is brilliant!

p.s. just who is Laura and why is she using your comment section to further her own agenda? not one mention of your scale idea. not groovin' on it.

svasti said...

I have them, but they sit unused under the bathroom sink. I'm kinda scared of looking at them, mostly for the reasons of obsession you mentioned. The only time I ever like looking at them is when I'm losing weight, anything else depresses me.

So from time to time I clean off the dust they collect. And I take the compliments on how I'm looking from other people, and as you say, from how my clothes fit.

Nice idea! :)

claire bangasser said...

You are asking me to do the hardest thing in the world!
In fact, thinking about it, it should be placed with me in my casket when I am incinerated...
Will I ever feel free from my scale???
Wow...

MissBliss said...

good idea!!!!

squarepegperson said...

I followed a rabbit-trail of posts/links/comments to get here, which (I think) included seeing just the name of your blog somewhere -- and I am SO thankful to be here!

This:
"Eat well, exercise to a good sweat, and laugh every day."
is brilliance...is body-mindfulness...is being in the NOW with our bodies, instead of the when-i-lose/gain-weight-my-life-will-rock thing.

thank you for this!

cypress sun said...

I'm in!

cypress sun said...

I'm in!