Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Embracing the Difficulty of Change



I go back to Kripalu for the second part of my YogaDance teacher training in just two and a half weeks! Since I've returned from the first part, I have been on a bit of a roller coaster ride, to put it mildly.

I keep reminding myself that all change can be difficult -- even good change.

As is my nature, though, I have been fighting this, so Jamie's Wishcasting question today is perfect:

What do you wish to embrace?

I wish to embrace this journey, fully.

I wish to completely understand that I am not just growing and becoming when I am on schedule and feeling great and dancing my heart out, but that I am also growing and becoming when I am exhausted, when I doubt, when I don't feel like it any more.

When I don't embrace these parts of the journey, I resist them and then I judge myself for them.

Rather than just accepting, for example, that there will be moments when I lose sight of what I am doing, I tell myself that I am not dedicated enough or that I am in danger of quitting completely.

Yep. That really helps!

If I embrace all these parts, I can see that this is my old brain, my fearful brain that worries I might fail, and it's also the part of my heart that wants to protect me from disappointment.

To be really truthful, it's also just old, lazy patterns. Those patterns that thought it was easier and safer to stay in the status quo. Those patterns that were comfortable but were not challenging or stimulating me to be the Shiniest version of myself.

Do you expect good change to be easy and comfortable? Are you willing to embrace pain and difficulty to birth your beautiful dreams?

(Photo & Text Copyright: Christine C. Reed, blisschick.net, 2009)

24 comments:

Amy said...

As you wish so I wish for you!

Tabitha@ichoosebliss said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I lovingly wish for her as well.

differenceayearmakes said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

And for me.

Amen! I read your post and just had to laugh because that is so exactly where I am.

Little things have piled up lately and I woke up in what I call free floating anxiety mode this morning and wondering what is wrong - something must be wrong.

I've been struggling with my most recent painting - it just isn't coming out right - and suddenly I have no talent and everything I've ever done is an accident - and why in the heck am I doing this anyway.

Then my shoulder, which had been improving, today seems to have taken a giant step backward and hurts with any movement - and I'm off and running with I'll never get full use back and there are all these things I won't be able to do.

Yada, yada, yada...

I knew I was in trouble when every book I picked up to read failed to hold my attention beyond a few pages - always a bad sign for me.

Guess I'll go and try and embrace me day....somehow.

Lawendula said...

As Christine on her wonderful journey wishes for herself, so I wish for her also

Stefanie said...

Wow, great minds must think alike. I am right there with you.

As Christine wishes to embrace the journey, so I sincerely and truly wish for her as well.

Wishing you nothing but goodness on your journey.

Jennifer said...

Ahhh Christine!
Here we are together....

As Christine wishes for herself, so do I also wish for her (and all the rest of us!) with all my heart and soul!

Here's to being our SHINIEST!

Sulwyn said...

What a thought provoking post today! I get stuck avoiding the difficulty of change more often that I would really like to admit.

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Ellen said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

So true - change is uncomfortable...but we can embrace it anyway.

Linda-Sama said...

change is always easy for me. as a Buddhist I know that change is the nature of reality so why cling to things that by their very nature can never remain the same? nothing ever stays the same, nothing in this world is permanent, and to realize that is liberation (at least it was for me!) even the Himalayas are crumbling one speck of dust at a time!

embrace the ever-changing journey, Christine!

Giulietta the Muse said...

Hi Christine,

Welcome back to my state! Lovely area where Kr thrives. Yes, it's the patterns that are hard to change. Change them and you change your life. Just identifying them is a milestone! I wish for you to embrace change and all its ups and downs, its forwards and backwards, its circles, its rhomboids, etc.

Life was never meant to proceed in a straight line ...

Giulietta, always musing

Linnea said...

I sympathize.

Do I want change to be easy? Of course. Is it? Of course not.

Change can be uncomfortable. It can be painful. It can -- and often does -- bring great joy once we've passed through the transition.

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Grace said...

Remember, change is just opportunity in disguise.

Kristina said...

How thankful I am to have found your site - I am asking myself those very questions and fervently hoping that I've got the mettle to get through the change to the purpose, my purpose, that's waiting for me on the other side. It's scary but exhilarating - a good combo, in my opinion! :)

Brooks Hall said...

It sounds fun (to me) to be going back to Kripalu! I wish I could meet you in the cafe again... Maybe another time...
Be well. Don't hold back.

Karen D said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also. May embracing change be as smooth as it can be as you said all change can be difficult.

Girlie-Queue said...

*Perfect* :) As The BlissChick wishes for herself, so too do I wish for The BlissChick's full-on embrace of this most awesome journey of her change :) She is so totally rockin' it with grace and wisdome (((♥)))
~Shamsi

Morgaine Pendragon said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.

Beyond 39 * said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well.

SaS said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her as well. As you will it, so may it be!

The Fragrant Muse said...

As BlissChick wishes for herself, so I wish for her also!

Beverley Baird said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.
May all your wishes be fulfilled!

JFKlaver said...

This is a tough one—embracing change when it's difficult. This mirror reflects your wishes right back at you with much love.

Laura Hegfield said...

beautiful post...YES, I have learned over many years and many obstacles to EMBRACE IT ALL! Everything, fear, anxiety,joy, out right silliness, exhaustion, physical pain, emotional pain, the little note your neighbor left on your windshield, the snuggle of your poodle on your lap...all of it is here to remind us to embrace our lives...and love it ALL!

gentle steps,
Laura
keep dancing!

Msartist said...

As Christine wishes for herself, so I wish for her also.