Tuesday, December 22, 2009

This Chick's Word of the Year 2010


It is a big deal for me to post a photo of myself to this site, but I think that visibility is part of my challenge for the New Year.

I have kept myself invisible for a long time now. I thought it was necessary to protect vulnerable parts of myself. I thought it was necessary to keep myself small and to not admit my desires and dreams.

No more of that!

Thanks to that lovely, beret-wearing woman on the left side of the photo, Megha, our YogaDance teacher trainer, I am ready to be Big and to be Seen and to be Fully Myself.

My word for 2010 became obvious to me about three days after returning from my final teacher training.

My word for 2009 was fly. Fly, I did.

For the first time ever, I sprang forth from this blog to teach a workshop in Cleveland -- in a place I had never seen and with people I had never met. I had to travel to get there and stay in a hotel all by myself. All of these things were big challenges.

And, of course, I went to Massachusetts for my YogaDance teacher training -- twice. For a whole week each time. Again, going somewhere strange to meet strangers and to do new things.

The more I have pushed myself, the more I dance, the more I explore my true desires, the more I get out of my head and into my body. This has taught me so much about the relationship between body, brain, and mind, and how that affects the quality of our lives.

I want more of that, and I know for a fact that a lot of you have had a similar life experience of living mostly in your head.

I know a lot of you are feeling the push to live from your intuitions, from your heart, from your center, from your body.

We are spiritual beings, yes, but we are sent to have a sensual, body-based experience.

For 2010, I will be delving deeply into body issues of all sorts, including our relationship to beauty, our war with weight, and our need for pleasure and playfulness.

For 2010, this Blisschick's word is:
Embody.


(By the way, that tutu is the special something I ordered from here to wear to my YogaDance Teacher training graduation ceremony. And check out the makeup on the model. Totally fun!)

25 comments:

Rachel said...

That's a really lovely photo of you :)

My word for 2010 is going to be Mindfulness. Hoping to actually get around to writing something on that soon.

Happy holidays to you and yours and heres to a mindful and embodied twenty-ten :D

svasti said...

LOVE the tutu. And the photo of you. And how your bravery keeps multiplying. You're an inspiration to those of us who still feel the need for a bit of shelter and aren't quite ready to come all the way out of hiding yet...

Tess said...

Great photo, great sentiments, great word.

Emma said...

Ooh, great word for 2010!

Also, I love the tutu! You look wonderful.

Karen D said...

LOVE the picture, it is fantastic and what a great word. 2010 is the first year I am choosing a word, mind is RELEASE!
Thanks for sharing.

differenceayearmakes said...

What a beautiful exuberant you!

I have so enjoyed following you on your journey this year. My own little rhyme for you has been "glow little glow worm, glitter glitter". I know silly, but it was my own form of cheer for you. Lucky you can't hear me sing it :).

I've posted my own word for the year and theme for the year - yeah, I have two. Plus this morning in a moment or serendipity I've run across what I think will be my inspiration poem for the year.

I love your word for the year and am looking forward to seeing how you explore it.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

I look forward to reading your EMBODIED thoughts in 2010!

Lisa @sacred circle said...

Woohoo! I can't wait to see what 2010 brings for you... you have already begun this journey of embodiment with gusto! :) Here's to stepping into our BIGness!

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

Here's to 2010 Christine...and all that you will embrace!

(still thinking about mine)

Peace,
WRO

Laura Hegfield said...

keep dancing and allowing your light to shine through your lovely ensouled vessel...YOUR BODY. LOVE the red tutu!

bright blessings,
laura

City Girl said...

You look wonderful and so happy :) Love the tutu. So inspired by your courage :)

Bohemian Single Mom said...

You're beautiful and that is such a fun, fun picture. I am looking forward to seeing more of you.
I understand though, I rarely post pics of myself...always my kid - lol.
And I'm currently thinking about my 2010 word.
Way to take Cleveland by storm with your contagious energy.
As we "fly" out of 2009, I hope you know how freakin' awesome you really are!!!

Lori-Lyn said...

What a beautiful photo. (The tutu rocks.)
Thank you for sharing yourself with us in 2009 and many, many blessings to you in 2010!

MGS Photography said...

Love the tutu! Also, great post. Sometimes it's a struggle to break down the barriers and let others see you but it's well worth it. Good luck in 2010!

Lisa (Mommy Mystic) said...

your joy is beautiful and infectious in that picture, thanks for sharing! and a wonderful post for the transition to the new year...i don't comment much, but do follow here and am looking forward to your 2010 'embody' posts...

Ellecubed said...

There is so much about this post that I love:

1. I love how passion and joy just leaps from your picture.
2. I love that you wore a tutu to your graduation.
3. I love how gracefully you talked about invisibility. I have been trying to articulate this to my therapist and what you wrote here had me saying, "Yes that is what I was trying to say."
4. I love the word that you chose for 2010. It is an amazing word that reflects both you and your blog.

Tabitha@ichoosebliss said...

I LOVE the photo!! I once preferred to be invisible as well, but that is no longer. In 2009 my word was Confident and it grew abundantly. I'll let you know my word for 2010 soon. Two words have been swirling and I may have to go with both. :)

Ann said...

Wishing you all a Merry and Happy. My word is "unstick." Yikes, please get me unstuck, self. Keep glowing, Bliss. It's contagious.

Rowena said...

Good word. I am thinking of my word... it might be "realize."

At first I thought maybe only in the sense of making something real, manifesting things, but now I think it is also in the sense of realizing my life as it is, recognizing it in the moment, as well as making real my dreams. I think it's a good word. I'll get back to you on whether or not it's the final decision.

And you did some good flying this year.

Lisa said...

Oh YAY!!!

Radiantly beautiful!!!

Congratulations!

I look forward to more awesome BlissChick adventures in 2010 :-)

Jeanne Klaver said...

My initial reaction is why would someone as lively and beautiful as you choose to be invisible. But we each have our own mountain to climb, so I'm simply glad you are finally coming into your own. Bless you and I look forward to sharing your 2010 word with you. "Embody." Challenging!

epiphanygirl said...

Sweet Christine,
After having been away from the whole blogworld for entirely too long, it is so nice to drink deep your bliss again - and to be greeted by your smiling face! What a brilliant year you have had - you made magic happen, I think. Can't wait to watch you in your process of embodiment - even in a realm as potentially disembodied at the internet!
All love and blessings and thanks for your kind words in my world.
Marisa

Jan said...

I look forward to journeying with you further in 2010 as your embody your glorious truest self. What a joy it has been to connect heart-to-heart with you this year, Christine. I wish you soooo well, truly. Shine on! May we all embody our sacred selves....my wish for 2010 and beyond. :-)

Amy Putkonen (Jewell) said...

That was fantastic. A good reminder to start creating MY word of 2010 - did you get that idea from Lance (Jungle of Life)? Last year, my word was focus. Still need that one, but wanting to choose something a little different this year! Happy New Year!

Anonymous said...

I want to quote your post in my blog. It can?
And you et an account on Twitter?