Monday, December 14, 2009

The Unexpected Bliss of Photographer & Joy Rebel, Brandi Reynolds


Returning from a week at Kripalu places a specific demand upon me: Rest and Integration. For this to happen, I need to go deep inside. So this week I am honored to present a series of posts by some wonderful writers about their experiences of Unexpected Bliss.

Brandi Reynolds is an artist, photographer and joy rebel, living in a suburb of Dallas with her infinitely patient husband and two rescued furry souls that drive her nuts half the time. The intention of her creative expression, and her life, is to celebrate, inspire, enjoy and connect with joy and humor in all facets of life. You can discover the beauty she sees in the everyday in etsy shop or join the joy rebellion on her website.

Bliss in letting go
by Brandi Reynolds

I am fascinated with spirituality in all forms and often hear of ‘mountain top experiences.' The ones you hear about where this profound shift occurs and all the baggage falls away and all of a sudden everything is clear and beautiful and serene. Then this person descends down the mountain, never to be bothered by the issues of mere mortals again.

Or something like that.

Truthfully, I like being human, with all the stuff that comes with it. I like being in this body, in this particular turn around the sun, having hands on, messy, vibrant experiences. I don’t really have any desire to ascend past the hub-bub of this human experience, even when it hurts, as I consider it all an enriching unfolding of my authentic self.

However.

There are experiences that are authentic and enriching (even if they are sometimes hurtful or hard) and then there are experiences that are drama or unnecessary or just not what I’m looking for in life.

Bliss comes when I am able to see grace and clarity in those situations because what ultimately happens is that something that I’m holding on to -- some old habit or way of thinking that no longer serves -- gets released. And it’s like I’ve been holding in a breath that I can now let out.

Freedom.

These moments rarely come with fanfare. In fact, they most often come in quiet moments alone. Yet when that breath is released and I find myself free from an old, painful or unhealthy idea, I feel bliss.

I’d like to thank Christine for allowing me to share my moments of unexpected bliss as the space she has created is truly one of bliss.

I wish for everyone small moments of bliss today.

6 comments:

Laura Hegfield said...

Brandi this makes me think of what I consider "sacred ordinary"...that any moment can be an opportunity to grow and experience what Heschel called "radical amazement"...we don't have to have an enormous "shift" in consciousness that we hold onto with dear life...these moments of awareness and gratitude come and go...like our breath. Sometimes it is something dramatic that helps us pay better attention (momentarily)...but it doesn't have to be drama...it can be as simple as noticing the particular quality of blue of the sky in one glance and that alone is what wakes us up for the time being...or a smile from a stranger.

Thanks Christine for sharing Brandi with us. Hope you are getting all the rest you need.
Laura

Emma said...

Thank you, Brandi!

Carmen said...

Brandi, this part is exactly what I've had on my mind and heart lately, but haven't found the right words...

"There are experiences that are authentic and enriching (even if they are sometimes hurtful or hard) and then there are experiences that are drama or unnecessary or just not what I’m looking for in life.

Bliss comes when I am able to see grace and clarity in those situations because what ultimately happens is that something that I’m holding on to -- some old habit or way of thinking that no longer serves -- gets released. And it’s like I’ve been holding in a breath that I can now let out."

Beautifully said.

Thank you, thank you, thank you!

xo,
Carmen


And thank you BlissChick for having Brandi on today!

Blissed out, again and again,
Carmen

Karen D said...

Thanks Brandi and Christine for a great post.

Brandi Reynolds said...

Laura-radical amazement..I love that! Thanks so much for your wise words...

emma-thank you for reading!

carmen-thank you for reading and commenting. I truly appreciate it!

karen-many blessings to you-

svasti said...

I've had some of those ‘mountain top experiences' you mentioned. But most people forget to explain that the experience is usually more of a glimpse at freedom rather than an 'ever after' reality.

Of course, its possible for those experiences to last 'ever after', but that takes hard work, not just the blinding moments of brilliance. They are like a flash light - they guide the way and integration of that inspiration is the task.

Anyone who says otherwise, I suspect is not telling the full story...