Friday, January 29, 2010

Healing, Part 3: Friends


I wanted to finish my thoughts about healing from grief, before moving on to some new and exciting (I think) content starting next week.

Marcy and I are blessed with many good and kind and thoughtful friends in our life.

I go dancing with one weekly, and that class is beyond important to me. We also meet with writing group once a week, and though we talk about writing, we are general creative and emotional support for one another.

Whatever is going on in our lives, we know Writing Group cares and wants to know and talk about it and talk about it some more. (You know, because it distracts us from the work we have or have not done!!)

Dr. Captain America, from writing group, stopped by spontaneously two days after Rosie passed and brought flowers (see above), wine, a card, and Giant Smiles and Hugs. He also brought his delightful son (or "sun"), who was a wonderful distraction in his excitement to meet Miss Zoe.

The number of cards we received with the "we understand" notes was overwhelming.

The same goes for the number of notes online. I want to thank all of the people who have made contact with us in so many ways to say, "I understand, I see you, I feel the same..."

There is nothing "virtual" about the value of these interactions.

I think about the whole debate over online friends, and it reminds me of God skeptics. I pray to Mary everyday, though I have never seen her (except when she dances on my bedside table...).

That relationship is as real to me as my relationship with humans I can touch. My relationship with our cats when they enter their Sparkle Suits remains as real as when they were in their Fur Suits.

You get the point.

My world of friends has gotten larger and deeper and more meaningful since I started this blog, and during times of grief, friends make a difference -- wherever they come from.

Oh! And an exciting side note:

Dr. Captain America writes this amazing blog, which has been nominated for TWO medical blog awards. Go here and vote! Help that cool son of his win an iPod Touch!! :)


4 comments:

Debra She Who Seeks said...

Miss Zoe conquers another heart!

Raine-Lee said...

Sorry about your loss. I'm happy to hear you've had a lot of support.

Laura Hegfield said...

our bloggy hearts beat with you and marcy and your furry family members.

Rochelle said...

I'm so sorry for your loss and from looking at pix you showed us of Rosie I agree she'd kick your butt if you moped around too much! I have an old furry friend myself, she's 21 and I'm thankful for every day that I have with that scrawny, barfy, cheese 'ho. :)