Monday, January 25, 2010

Moving Forward Despite Our Grief


Taking care of a sick loved one changes everything. As it should. Priorities become crystal clear. Other stuff just falls away.

Since early December, when I returned from the second part of my YogaDance teacher training, we have been nursing Rosie cat, who passed away, as many of you know, this past Thursday evening.

We are sad.

And we are relieved. For her. She was 18, and it was her time. She missed her best friend, and we believe they are reunited.

My point today is that since early December, Rosie has been our number one priority. Sure, things that we might normally be annoyed by, suddenly held little importance, but it's good stuff that falls away too.

My movement schedule became nonexistent. I have continued to dance and do yoga, but not with the dedication and focus I had prior to Rosie becoming ill. As I said, this is how it should be. She deserved our attention.

Now, though, with her passing, we are grieving and yet it's time...

It's time to refocus on what it is that makes me happy.

It's time to refocus on what it is that makes me know me.

It's time to refocus on what it is that challenges me like nothing else ever has.

Rosie is with us always, and she is bossy! She says "get to work, you lazy bum," in her adorable truck stop waitress meow.

It's time to take steps to make that Dream Decree a reality.

Yesterday, during a long Kundalini Yoga session, ideas started coming. I had to get paper and pen and sit them next to my mat or I wouldn't have been able to finish the DVD I was doing. I scribbled, and when I was done, I scribbled some more.

Ideas that will affect the content of this blog were pouring in. Ideas seemingly coming from nowhere, but I know better...

Thanks, Rosie.

14 comments:

Kasia Blue said...

My Sophie passed away on Saturday and we are heartbroken. She wasn't even three, and was such a beautiful soul. If you have a chance to stop by my blog, you can read about her and see her lovely face. Sending love to all of you and comfort in knowing that your lovely lady is now in a much happier place.
Kasia

Bohemian Single Mom said...

my heartfelt condolences...this is a beautiful post.

Bethany said...

So sorry about Rosie.
Your ending gave me goosebumps.
Love how you keep letting the good flow in.
You're such an inspiration.
Hugs.

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

It' true, they do stay with us...now in spirit more than ever. I still visit mine in my dreams...and miss them too.

Hugs to you and Marcy...

Peace & Glee,
WRO

StorytellERdoc said...

Hey C! How far you have come, huh? This post makes me proud of how you are coping with such a loss. You better give Rosie some credit time in the DVD information! See you tomorrow.
J

Tabitha@ichoosebliss said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This post honors both you and Rosie in the sweetest way. :)

cream_city_chick-A-DEE said...

Christine & Marcy:
I know the pain of losing a beloved family member like Rosie. But, I also know that like my Hoa (Hawaiian for intimate friend), Rosie will ALWAYS be with you. Hoa left me more than 15 years ago & I think about her so often. Her sweet, gentle soul (I have always been certain that animals possess the purest of souls) is always near, especially when I need comforting.

My heartfelt thoughts & prayers to you & to everyone who loses a beloved pet. The heartache & hurt is very real, but it does lessen with time, thanks to the many memories our sweet friends leave us with.

Susan

Namaste_Heather said...

Yes, the wisdom of the Universe is speaking to you. Listen to it. Learn from it. May you be well and at peace.

Lisa said...

Some of that wisdom is bouncing around here these days, too.

Your recent posts and comments on FB have inspired me to re-think my daily routine.

After almost a month of retreat since leaving my job...taking it easy and allowing some down time...some not so healthy habits are established.

Your posts (and perhaps some kick in the pants from Rosie and Spanky) have me inspired to start anew.

Tomorrow....NO computer!

After that, the world!!!

:-)

Jan said...

I am glad that your heart is open and you are receiving Rosie's sparkle suit wisdom. :-) Loss is hard and you invite us be gentle with ourselves, feel the feelings, yet maintain joy and appreciation. All good things...

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

I wonder, how can loss - emptiness, the absence of someone - feel so heavy and imposing?

Rosie is all around you. She is that peace which descends upon your slumbering self. She is the first light you experience when you awake.

I am sorry for your loss.

While the cat's away said...

I am so sorry about Rosie. I know the comfort our wonderful animals bring us and they love us unconditionally. My thoughts are with you and the loss of your dear little friend.
Glenda

cara @intimeofsorrow said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Friendship becomes so important in these times.

Carolyn said...

Beautiful post. I've never lost anyone close to me, and I can only imagine the pain and grief that comes along with such a loss. Sending lots of love to you both.