Sunday, January 10, 2010

MysticBliss: The Power of Memory & Art

Have you ever been to a performance art thing and felt totally embarrassed for the person afterward? As you leave, you don't know what to say, though they stand there with that look of anticipation?

I've been to way too many of those in my life, having started college as a theatre major. Too many to the point where I was pretty convinced that there was no such thing as "good performance art." (Yes, I can be very black and white.)

Then a couple of days ago, I watched this, and it completely changed my perspective.

The power in this piece is explosive -- the spiritual power, the historical power, the power of memory when it is joined to art.

This is why I dance, why I do what I do. Art changes our lives for the better.

I'll be quiet now..just watch it. Watch it all the way through. You won't regret it. You'll probably watch it again.




13 comments:

Elise said...

you are definately right there !

Jeanne Klaver said...

WOW!

Christiana Spiritguide said...

That was one of those things that sent chills down my spine and made me "see" a lot more.....

differenceayearmakes said...

Very moving and very talented. Magical.

lucy said...

i almost didn't take the 8 minutes to watch this. wow!! i have never seen anything like it.

Bethany said...

WOW! Thank you for posting this. It's amazing. Glowing wonder. I loved when she wiped the tear away from the woman's face and changed her with a sweep of her hand.
I don't know if I GET the whole story yet though.
Can I post this on my blog too?
I'd love to share it.
I can link back to you as the original place I saw it?
Please let me know.
Thanks,
Bethany

cypress sun said...

thanks for sharing this!

Mamma said...

That's amazing. And not fair that she's that talented and beautiful too. ;-)

Miles said...

This is too freaking cool!

Grace said...

Shoot, I can't download that with my crappy Internet!

But I know what you mean. I once went to a dance performance art show and the dancers wore underwear, "drag queen" shoes, and layered sweaters. They moved their bodies, and although spectacular what they could do, had you'd seen them out in the street you'd think they were crazy. They then preceded to take of ALL their sweaters, put them back on, repeat. It was the weirdness thing I've ever seen. I still don't get the point.

laluna said...

very cool! (i just discovered your blog and am thoroughly enjoying it. thank you for sharing and your honesty in doing so.)

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

what a creatively heart-wenching performance...wow...

Emma said...

i've seen this artist somewhere else before... a different piece. amazing work.