Monday, January 4, 2010

We Have No Excuses Left


Yesterday, I posted a video of a woman dancing Salsa. The first time I read about her, the piece claimed she was 92. Then I saw a piece say she was 80. Finally, we have confirmation from our lovely Tess that she is 75 (see the link in her comment). (Thanks, Tess!)

The age, of course, doesn't matter, because most 25 year olds would like to be able to move like this great grandmother.

Age, of course, does matter because most people over 35 start using age as an excuse to stop doing or trying all sorts of things.

Age is not an excuse, as I have claimed here before.

We all, sitting around a pot of tea or cups of coffee, would nod our heads in agreement if I said this aloud while we were discussing dreams and desires in a lovely cafe.

Deep in the recesses of our brains, though, our excuse making machines would go instantly into overdrive, and by the time we got home, my words spoken in that powerful circle of women would begin to ring...untrue or trite.

But what if I were to say, in that circle of women, that even War and Murder and Terror and Inhumanity were no excuse not to follow our dreams?

What if I were to tell you that things like music and dance become more important in times and places of atrocity, and that we in our, predominantly, comfortable lives are rather...pathetic in our complaints, our litanies of reasons?

Busy? That's your excuse?

How about a child just trying to survive who still knows that singing makes her feel good?

Gremlins? Really?

How about a child taken from his home who knows that playing an instrument makes him special?

Are you mad at me yet for pointing this out?

Yes or no, watch this and let your mind and heart both be opened and changed and challenged.

My God, we have No Excuses left.



My favorite quote from the film comes from that young girl:

When I dance, my problems vanish.
The camp is gone.
I can feel the wind.
I can feel the fresh air.
I am free and I can feel my home.

Everyone has their troubles, but let's keep ours in perspective.

Stop putting off your life.

10 comments:

StorytellERdoc said...

Hey C

Great post. Really thought your words were eloquent and so real to what most of us face in our days. Thank you!

epiphanygirl said...

Thank you for making us a little less comfortable this morning. Powerful, vital stuff.

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

THIS is living from the soul.


You are so right. You are so right.

xo

Lisa said...

Thanks for this inspirational call to action!

Since watching that video, and reflecting on your comment to me this past summer about being raised by 'older' parents, I've been contemplating what effect (and lingering limitations) that has had on my ability to dream big and manifest said dreams.

Hmmmmm....

I appreciate your nudge into considering yet another aspect of my Life!

leel said...

no excuses. you are so bang on here. as someone who holds Human Rights very dear to their heart and finds it central to their sadness and frustration towards humanity, I appreciate this even more.

in times of trouble we need joy and dance and fleeting happiness more than ever. thanks for reminding me of that. I think that is also why I love to watch some of the Paul Simon concert videos from 1987 in zimbabwe. pure joy is undeniable, and at times the cure for all the ails. we never know if we dont bother to even try.

thanks again for sharing, and the great reminders you bring to me, daily.

keeley

Heather Plett said...

Oh my gosh - I NEED to see this film! Where did you find it?

Laura Hegfield said...

and no excuses for not helping others reach their dreams too!

thanks for bringing this film to our attention and for the big kick in the caboose to make music and dance in whatever form our creativity, joy and dreams show up!

Expressive Hart said...

I couldn't agree more! And I want to see that film! I'm going to post it on FB!

Wild Roaming One (WRO) said...

I'm sitting here running through my own list of excuses of why this or that isn't happening for me...they all seem so valid and so reasonable. and then i watched the video, and my excuses fell away into the realization that they are jusr reflections of my lack of courage and belief in myself, both of which any one of those people could easily show me the way...i am ashamed, and inspirted...

thank you.

WRO

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

Indeed. This is powerful.