Wednesday, February 10, 2010

All is Well

(The cabin where Marcy wrote for three days.)

I was listening to a talk by Anthony De Mello the other day, and he pointed out that every mystic from every world religion comes to the same exact conclusion: All is well. And furthermore, all shall be well. (To use the wording attributed to Julian of Norwich.)

Monday, Marcy's grandfather was, what we call, actively dying (and he passed away yesterday morning). He was comfortable and had a long life (and he is and will be greatly missed). We were in that time of waiting. Marcy went to work. I told her I would cancel ballroom dance classes for that night.

She said no.

I went. I worried about her, but I also had...fun. I laughed. I felt the joy of dance.

She was right. There is no saying "no." Only "yes" is the appropriate response to this beautiful life.

Yes, yes, yes, to the rhythm of our breath.

Yes, yes, yes, to the last breath.

One final, long, and slow Yes, riding out of this life on Yes, just as we rode in, screaming it at the top of our fresh lungs.


13 comments:

Sandy Dempsey said...

My sympathies to Marcy and you. Peace and blessings to you both.

I, too, am finding that life cannot be put on hold. Saying.'yes' everyday can sometimes be a struggle and not everyone understands, but once I am in the flow of 'yes' it benefits all around me.

Sandy

differenceayearmakes said...

My sympathy to Marcy and you. I've always thought the Irish had it right with the wake - celebrating a life well lived.

leel said...

i have been thinking about you guys since i saw your tweet. lots of warm energy sent your way... grieving is not my favorite of the processes in life. hugs to you both. what a beautiful post. i have been making an effort to say YES more, make it more automatic instead of the ingrained NO i seem to default to. thanks for the reminder.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

My condolences to Marcy and you. Your post reminded me of the quotation by Dag Hammarskjold -- "For all that has been: thanks! For all that will be: yes!"

Lori-Lyn said...

What a beautiful tribute.
To life. And love.
Yes.

Lisa said...

Beautiful.

Yes.

Thinking of you...

holly said...

Godness this was powerful!!!

YES TO LIFE, TO LIVING, TO JOY, TO TRANSFORMATION, TO LIVING AND BREATHING LIFE LIFE LIFE .....

Megan Potter said...

Moving.
Beautiful.
Inspiring!
Thank you for sharing so much in the midst of your loss.

Yours,
Megan

Svasti said...

Best wishes to you and Marcy. The pulse of life continues even as the participants change. And in so many ways, that's a darn fine reason to dance...

Jan said...

Saying yes to all of it, even in the midst of a dying, is so powerful Christine. I salute you and Marci for realizing this and embracing the all of it. :-) You inspire...

My sympathies to you both, but memories of celebration too of a life well-lived. Blessings!

Anonymous said...

I have been looking everywhere for this! Thank goodness I found it on Google.

Thanks.

RENE
[url=http://level301.phonesexdigest.com/]sweet[/url]

Bethany said...

So sorry about M's grandfather.
Weird, when I was having to put my 17.5 year old dog to sleep a week ago I found myself singing this song "All will be well." Have been singing it since.

Jeanne Klaver said...

I was saddened for both of you when Marcy's grandpa died because I know how close you are. It's a part of the process, but that doesn't make it any easier.