Tuesday, February 16, 2010

A Blessing for Your Senses


After yesterday's post, sweet, insightful Heather from Fumbling for Words sent me this blessing poem written by John O'Donohue, whom we will miss greatly for his wisdom and mystical spirit.

Heather was right on with this.

I'll be using it as a daily tool in my 40 Days of Delight. It has been printed, cut out, and decorated by Marcy; it will be my bookmark for my Thomas Merton based Lenten book. I think O'Donohue would approve of the company.

For the Senses

May the touch of your skin
Register the beauty
Of the otherness
That surrounds you

May your listening be attuned
To the deeper silence
Where sound is honed
To bring distance home.

May the fragrance
Of a breathing meadow
Refresh your heart
And remind you you are
A child of the earth.

And when you partake
Of food and drink,
May your taste quicken
To the gift and sweetness
That flows from the earth.

May your inner eye
See through the surfaces
And glean the real presence
Of everything that meets you

May your soul beautify
The desire of your eyes
That you might glimpse
The infinity that hides
In the simple sights
That seem worn
To your usual eyes.

John O'Donohue (1956-2008)


9 comments:

Laurina said...

thanks for sharing such a beautiful poem...and also the most excellent TED video with Jamie Oliver in your other post :)

Linnea said...

Oh, I love O'Donohue. His Anam Cara is divine if you've never read it. Thanks for sharing!

differenceayearmakes said...

Beautiful and so perfect. I'd love to see how Marcy embellished it.

Grace said...

His book Anam Cara is on my Amazon wishlist--I had no idea he had died. that is a beautiful poem.

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

the beauty of the otherness ... what a beautiful, sacred sentiment. i feel it, this week.

Daisy said...

The photo at the beginning of this post was truly a "blessing for my senses"! Thank you.

Debra She Who Seeks said...

He was such a wonderful poet. What a loss! I love listening to his recordings -- he had the most beautiful Irish lilting voice!

Linda said...

It is so great to see how John’s work continues to weave “words of love . . . an invisible cloak, to mind your life.” I want to support you in sharing that inspiration and love; and I am also responsible for minding the technicalities connected with the preservation of John’s estate and literary legacy.

John’s family would be very grateful if you would add to your quote a note that gives the title of the poem and of the book from which the poem is quoted, as well as, the copyright attribution ( © John O’Donohue. All rights reserved). It would also be great if you could provide a link to the web site: www.johnodonohue.com — so that those who want to know more about John can come to us?

warmly and with gratitude,
Lindaa

Christine Claire Reed said...

I, of course, am always careful to give credit where credit is due.

I have already linked to the John O'Donohue site first thing in this post, if you'll take note; the poem is entitled the way it was sent to me, and it is attributed to him.

I do not know what book it is from, if you would like to forward that.

(Like I said, it was sent to me in an email with no bibliography, of course.)