Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Real Food, Real Health: Our Lives Depend Upon It

Yesterday, Sandy from The Dreaming Cafe referred to this TED talk on her Facebook. None of this information is new to me, but Jamie Oliver's passion about the bigger picture was so captivating and his message is so important that I want to share it with everyone. Starting right here.



I think his message also fits wonderfully into our 40 Days of Delight in our Bodies for Lent. What better way to show gratitude for our physical manifestations than to care for our bodies from the inside out, and therefore, by extension, to care for this planet.

The better we eat, the better we farm.

I am not talking vegetarianism here. I believe every body is different and has different needs, but every community and every individual can step up and support local, sustainable, and humane methods of farming.

Every community can demand that their children's lives (and their own) not be cut short by the very foods we put in their mouths.


6 comments:

Rachel said...

As you know I feel very strongly about this. If we all start to buy food in a more sustainable and humane fashion it will become the norm and the prices will come down.

Goodness, it SHOULD be the norm!

Jamie is a bit of a hero of mine. The work he's done on school lunches here in the UK is fabulous!

Elize said...

What fantastic timing! I've been thinking about your challenge, and how/in what ways I could join in... as I'm finishing up a 40 day yoga challenge (today is day 30!) I've been experiencing so many great benefits, and plan to continue my daily practice... I have also been considering what other life honoring practices I can make... diet being one of them, as mine has changed drastically since moving abroad... good "food for thought" from you, thanks so much!!

(creativeoasiscoach) said...

I think you all might enjoy the blog - katheatsrealfood - she really inspires me with her beautiful, healthy, tasty real food choices (and great photos). Thanks for sharing the TED talk!

City Girl said...

I SO agree. Thank you for posting this.

Susan said...

Amazingly simple and wonderful message. Thank you for posting this.

WrightStuff said...

Jamie is a national treasure in the UK, he is quite a remarkable young man - one of those special people who sees a problem and has uses his celebrity status to do something about it. In the UK he has transformed school dinners in many areas. He's a wonderful cook too - he started out doing cookery programmes, then became an ambassador for change in the way we eat. We even have an expression "doing a Jamie" refering to cooking something from one of his cookbooks. I was thrilled to see that he was doing a TED lecture, thanks for sharing!