Thursday, March 25, 2010

Dance Anywhere: A Double Dog Sort of Dare


(Photo from last fall. I'm attempting to get more comfortable with this whole exposing of one's self...)

I just learned about his amazing yearly event, and so I will have to wait until next year to plan anything that resembles grand. But for now, it's enough to spread the word.

This Friday, March 26th, is Dance Anywhere Day. At 3 PM New York time or 8 PM Paris time, you and some friends or coworkers are asked to stop what you're doing and just dance.

Here's a video from a hair salon in San Francisco. There's no sound, but it's not needed. You can see the giggling. How amazing would our days be if we all stopped and did this for five minutes?

And because they say it so well on their site, here's what it's all about:

dance anywhere® brings everyone's attention to their immediate environment and brings awareness to the change that dance and art brings as it converges with their day.

dance anywhere® is about shifting assumptions and heightened awareness, and generating dance anywhere and everywhere simultaneously.

The concept for dance anywhere® blurs the line that separates art and dance from our daily lives. This is art that does not need to be on a stage.

dance anywhere® is about the transformation of familiar and ordinary locations.

This is a conceptual dance created by Beth Fein.

Join in!

And if you're really daring, make a movie or take a picture and post it on your blog. Make sure to come back here and let us all know you've taken the leap!

8 comments:

differenceayearmakes said...

What a terrific idea! This may well turn out to be a powerful weekend with dance anywhere on the 26th and Earth Hours 2010 (see my post) on the 27th. Take positive action weekend!

Elize said...

ohhh what a fantastic idea, thank you so much for sharing it! it will take place at 11pm our time... another world-wide dance event you might be interested in is Earthdance (www.earthdance.org) which takes place at the end of September. There is even a synchronized prayer for peace- I went to an event a few years back and it was very powerful!

Megan Matthieson said...

Thanks for letting me know! That's an easy one for me. :) I'll be home packing for a trip and I'll just crank the music up. :)

Susan said...

What fun! Thank you for sharing this!

claire said...

This means 4 pm for me. Hm... I could go and dance with a kite at el Morro...

Carolynn said...

Hmmm....I may have to set my alarm for this one. I'll need a reminder by 3pm in the afternoon. That's usually nap time for me. Even when I'm at work. *grin*

Linnea said...

I will be in the carpool line at 3 p.m.! Guess I'll need to bring some bouncy music and dance in my car. :-D

Jacqueline said...

Christine,
You are so beautiful; I love when you post a pic of yourself! And if that is you in your new banner (as I suspect it is)--great lats!!