Friday, March 26, 2010

Treat Yourself Like Someone You Love


(Driftwood at the peninsula.)

An excerpt from near the end of Locker Room Diaries: The Naked Truth About Women, Body Image, and Re-Imagining the "Perfect" Body by Leslie Goldman, in which the author has asked elder women about their bodies. This particular section is from Linda, age 63, an author and psychotherapist:

I remember a friend said to me, "You never had good mothering. Now it's time to mother yourself." So every morning, I say things to myself like, "What do you need today?"

I also use other methods to nurture my body, such as restorative yoga, resting my neck every day, and traveling to exotic places with my husband, where we snorkel. I stay hydrated. I pray. I treat my body as I would treat someone I love very much. These acts have brought me to radiant and resilient health -- so much so that I have gone from crippling joint pain to being pain free, without medication.

A lot of women carry shame about how we look. Many of us are undergoing surgery, even at a very young age. One of my tips is to massage every part of the body with scented oil and a brush. As I do this, I thank each part of my body...It's very affirming and gets rid of so much negativity about our body image.

What do you need today?

Can you imagine asking yourself that every day? Perhaps we could all try to do this each morning for just a week and see how it changes our lives.

For more inspiration along these lines, go listen to this podcast with Kimberly Wilson, in which she interviews Diane Cesa about Doses of Pleasure.


5 comments:

Sheila said...

Oh, Christine -today THIS post is a sweet gift and so affirms what I'd been thinking approaching a birthday tomorrow. Thanks much.

claire said...

I really love this post. It makes me feel good all over.
Thank you thank you thank you.

Carolynn said...

A mocha frappaccino...does that count?

No, seriously, LOVE this concept. I think I do it, unconsciously. I remind myself that I'm God's child, and as such, I'm perfect just the way I am.

I used to brush my body before I showered every morning and have stopped. It's very invigorating and helps to circulate the blood & slough off old skin. I must take that practice up again.

Happy Friday!

Eco Yogini said...

this is perfect. I love her mantra "treat your body as someone you love very much" :)

Analiese Marie said...

Exactly what I needed to read this morning. Thank you!