Friday, April 23, 2010

Big Time Gratitude


I have been stressed. My right shoulder tells me that I was more stressed than I even admitted. It's nothing serious, but just enough of a message from my body that I am able to listen, to pay attention, to look up from a certain level of self-absorption long enough to glimpse my reality -- a reality full of beauty and much to be thankful for.

I am thankful that Toby Kitten's surgery went well. (Snip snip...it was time. Scottie, our 16 year old, was tired of being "courted" by Toby.) This morning, I get to go pick him up at the vet's, and I will, I'm sure, spend most of the day staring at him.

I am thankful for the opportunity to share my love of dance with so many people. I am thankful that the work I do impacts others. I am thankful for all the smiling faces, the giggling, the hootin' and hollerin'.

I am thankful for all of the wonderful and powerful women that this work is bringing into my life.

I am thankful for the muse and her generosity. I am thankful for the stacks of paper on my desk. Yes, I complain about the quantity of ideas, but really, how is that something to complain about?

I am thankful for all the people in my life who are saying all the things that I need to hear.

I am thankful for this current challenge that is telling me I need to prioritize better and start making some difficult choices. I am thankful because it is representative of the power of bringing dance back into my life. It has changed every thing. Every. Thing.

It has even changed our living room. Marcy encouraged me to remove some of the furniture so I would have a bigger dancing space. She said, "That is what our house is FOR! LIVING! Not for showing off to other people and entertaining!" So there. I am thankful for her, as I am many many many times every day.

I am thankful for all the flowers, good espresso, sandal wearing weather, toe-nails that are bright pink, sushi being gluten free, the color of our kitchen, great poets, dreams that do not awaken me with fear, organic chocolate, local musicians that rock, bird song, bike rides that are not endangered by sudden snow storms, the yoga studio that hosts my classes, the smell of that studio, sticky pads in the shape of monkey heads, tiny note pads with classic Japanese scenes printed on them, good pens, the sound of Marcy's giggles.

7 comments:

Lisa said...

Here, here!

Well said :)

Thanks for sharing your gratitude. It is wonderfully infectious!

Emma said...

That was nice to read! :)

The Other Laura said...

Thanks for reminding me to be grateful today!

StorytellERdoc said...

Awesome post, C. This should be clipped to the bathroom mirror to start each day with.

Your life is rich, filled with so much of what people can only long for. Good for you to sit back and reflect on all the blessings.

Great weekend wishes to both of you!
J

Jacqueline said...

Thanks for sharing this!

From where I sit your life looks pretty amazing, but isn't that always the way...we can't see the internal stressors that others have. It has been so wonderful to watch your journey (metamorphosis, really) and it is inspiring me to reach for my own goals and dreams.

And please share with us the color of your kitchen!

claire said...

Wonderful post, Christine :-)

Leather Belts, Plain Printed, Studded said...

Genuine Leather Belt Stainless Steel Metal Square Studs Design Over 100 Steel Metal Studs Buckle Width: About 1-1/2 inches, 3.8 cm The buckle can be removed so the belt can be used as a snap belt for any buckle. The belts are dozen pre-packed in assorted sizes
Unique belts for men that goes with any outfit. Our urban leather customize belts are highly detailed with intricate and colorful designs inspired by popular fashion designers. We have leather belts for every type of style. For the punk rockers we have leather studded belts and belts with skulls. Studded leather belts come in various colors for a stylish and edgy look.