Monday, June 7, 2010

Honoring the Memory of a Friend


Today marks the one year anniversary of the passing of our dear, sweet friend, Ken Honard.  I wrote about him here.

As I reread that post, it struck me how much his life and his passing have affected my own life.

I promised in that post to honor him by more fully living this life I have been given. I promised, in his memory, to wear more glitter and to not avoid adventure and risk.

I am proud to say I have kept my promise and that I  have done so beyond my wildest dreams.

That post was written mere days before I had my epiphany on a dance floor.

It goes to prove the Rumi quote true, doesn't it?  That cracks in everything, including our hearts, is where the light gets in.

That crack left by the seismic activity that was his passing let in the light that warmed the seed that had been lying dormant in my heart for far too long.  That little seed was able to finally sprout.  That seed that was my True and Real Life.  That seed that was Happiness and Bliss and Joy.

Thank you, Ken, for my Sparkling Life.


10 comments:

Emma said...

I definitely remember your tribute to Ken last year. It's amazing how much has changed in that year!

Emma said...

I said that in a passive voice, but YOU have made the changes so it would be better to say it that way!

Lisa said...

Beautiful.

I honor his memory ~ and your tremendous fulfillment of your promise and his inspiration.

A true celebration of Life!

StorytellERdoc said...

Beautifully written, C, and poignant words.

ellen said...

What a lovely tribute to your friend...

tinkerbell the bipolar faerie said...

Beautifully written. The quote ~ it was Leonard Cohen, wasn't it?

Christine Claire Reed said...

Nope -- Cohen got it from Rumi. :)

Lisa (Mommy Mystic) said...

I had forgotten you had lost a dear friend this time last year also. I think I went offline for a month after getting my own news along these lines at the time, but I think you did contribute a quote then and mentioned your friend. This post really resonated for me, and the reminder on the Rumi quote too, as it was really that way for me also....

Jacqueline said...

Christine,
I didn't remember your vow, but when I read Marcy's recent blog post I realized how much you have accomplished and grown in less than a year! Congrats to you, and thank you for inspiring us all!

svasti said...

I'm sure Ken knows about what you and Marcy have been up to in the past year. And without doubt, he must be chuffed!