Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Aging & Bravery: A Note from a Reader


One of the great joys of writing this blog is the direct interaction with readers, which comes in from many directions, including emails.

Last week after I wrote some posts about aging and dancing and bravery, I got this email from reader Glenda, and she gave me permission to share:

Thanks for posting the articles about your return to dance at 40.

I danced for about 16 years when I was younger, but with college and life, I stopped. II would watch my nieces and wish I could get back into it. Of course, I have a list of excuses, not the least of which is I am still recovering from a car accident. But so what! I was bound and determined to accept that the car accident was the universe giving me a major shake to get me out of my old life and into my new one. So, here I am about to celebrate my 40th in a couple of weeks. I have booked the JourneyDance training program at Kripalu and a little extra time there to enjoy myself with yoga, hiking, and some pampering. I have found a dance studio in my city that has adult classes and bought some new ballet tights and leotard and shoes. I look forward to getting started!

When I read your posts, I remembered what it was like for me to dance - that simple joy. That joy that has been lost for quite awhile as I focus on raising my daughter by myself and work a lot of hours in a corporate job to ensure we have a comfortable life. As she heads into her third year of university, I find myself suddenly very aware that I am going to be alone and without that much else in my life that brings me joy and peace. Time to re-commit to my new life - yoga, dance, friends, and potentially a new job very soon. 

Thanks for the inspiration!


This is what I am talkin' about!  It is truly never too late to recommit to yourself, to your bliss, to the YOU you were born to be.

What step toward your Fullest Life could you take today or this week?

3 comments:

Emma said...

Congratulations, Glenda! How wonderful. :)

Linnea said...

Congratulations, Glenda. I think you just shoved me in the direction of the yoga mat.

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Glenda! Hope you have a blast!