Friday, September 10, 2010

Some Fruit from My Time with Erich Schiffmann


These are my feet as prepared by Marcy for my workshop with Erich Schiffmann this past weekend.  I am thinking that the temporary tattoo of heart with wings will some day soon have to become a permanent thing, but I am a bit of a 'fraidy cat, never having gotten a tattoo...much less some place so tender.  (And yes, that is a small heart on my right big toe...not a scary mole.)

The workshop itself was packed with stuff that I am still...unpacking.

But there are some Big Things that happened for me surrounding the workshop.  Sorta like Meta-Workshop lessons.

In no particular order:
  • I hate to travel but I stayed really calm and centered, dare I say, relaxed?  Marcy had gotten me some Agatha Christie on CD and this sustained me even when it was raining so hard that it was like Winter time whiteout conditions.
  • I do not like going places I have never been, but this time, I just did it.  And I was sorta responsible for another person.  A friend from Erie followed me in her car (as I was headed to my sister's house after the workshop and not going directly home), and I pretty much mapped out (literally and metaphorically) our whole weekend.
  • BIGGEST DEAL OF ALL?  I was completely off the computer for FOUR DAYS.  Now, that may not seem like a big deal, but remember, I am a Geek and the Internet is my Israel (to quote Sarah Vowell).  Not only did I stay off the computer when I had a chance to be on it, but I did not even think about getting on...Or I thought about it for a brief second and then thought, NAH...ICK!
Now that I am back, I am having a hard time with all the frantic energy of the internet.

I am still also processing some thoughts that came out of what Erich was talking about:
  • Oh, right, I thought part way through the second day, you can totally dedicate yourself to, immerse yourself in the Thing You Love More than Anything Else and then just do your work and allow whatever is going to happen to happen.  This may seem elementary but it is rather Huge.  I get lost...frequently...in thinking that the things I love are just not "enough" and so I end up saying Yes when I should say No and vice versa.
  • If yoga is about realizing we are already yoked because the Infinite and the current "eruption" (Erich's word) that is Us in the Finite are one and the same, then what is all the freaking fuss about Types of Yoga and the Rights and the Wrongs?  Do your own and zip it!  If this is the true nature of yoga, then unless you are talking specifically about asana when you say "yoga," the external can be different for every single person.  My "main yoga" is dance.  It unites me/yokes me with who I really am.
Furthermore, much of "yoga" is moving toward dance.  Erich has his "freedom yoga," and when he talks about it, all I hear is Gabrielle Roth.  Shiva Rea is doing Trance Dance within Yoga, and it makes me think of Dunya.

It's all about Intent, people.
  • Erich also spoke of meditation not being "mental flat lining."  Which a lot of people think it is, and I wonder about the point of that...  Schiffmann believes the ultimate point of meditation should be listening, opening up to the larger consciousness.  I agree, but I would take it a step further and say that it doesn't have to look the same for everyone.  I meditate within movement.
Moving meditation puts me in the eye of my storm and allows for a clarity way beyond that which happens when I am sitting and my feet are falling asleep.

I'm still thinking about all of this and know that I am not articulating what is in my mind and heart the way that it needs to be articulated.



6 comments:

Rachel @ Suburban Yogini said...

Love your paragraph about how yoga is about realising we are already yoked. So true so true! Stop bitchin' do yoga!!

Sounds like an almighty weekend. Great stuff :)

svasti said...

LOVE your temporary tattoo and I hope you do get the nerve up some time. It's different getting a tattoo when you really know what you want and why you want it.

Glad you had such a great time, and that you found some new things about yourself and your capabilities.

Intent is everything and I think we human beings need to be a lot more honest with ourselves about our intentions in general.

And oh yes... meditation is far from being anything to do with flat lining our thoughts. We just have to learn to get along with them AND see what else is out there for us to comprehend when we give our mind the time and space!

P.S. BTW, when I eventually announce my yoga business name, I think you'll really like it. It's kinda related to stuff you're into, but also related to an experience I had in meditation one time. :)

Emma said...

Very good stuff! It sounds like it was a really powerful weekend starting even before the workshop!

dragonfly said...

I love this "you can totally dedicate yourself to, immerse yourself in the Thing You Love More than Anything Else and then just do your work and allow whatever is going to happen to happen." Just what I needed to hear this morning... been feeling very reclusive and irritable these days so thank you! And for the link to Dunya, had heard of her before but never really gave it much of a proper look - very cool. I think you would LOVE Angela Farmer, I went to one of her workshops in Yellow Springs years ago but if it's a relatively manageable drive for you, definitely check her out - I think she is back in the US for a couple workshops next year.
xox

Jan said...

Christine,
I am so glad that you had such a powerful time with ES. What a gift to be with such a classic (legendary) teacher. I hope you are re-entering gently and with much kindness toward yourself.

p.s. FYI, while you were gone, I launched my new Buddha Chick online course. You've been away from the computer and I have been glued!!! May we both breathe on with ease. xo

Cindy Fearon, RYT/LMT said...

I so enjoy your posts and your openess. The more I practice yoga, the more I too believe that yoga "looks" very different for each of us. In fact, that's what I love about this practice. I can be me, look like me, and it's okay. For me too movement is definitely meditation. Thanks again for sharing.

P.S. Some years ago I had a tattoo done on the top of my foot (it's a butterfly w/a heart). It was not nearly as bad as I was told it would be. I love mine and want more! When you're ready, go for it!!