Wednesday, September 22, 2010

With Autumn Comes Italy


(Does the Extreme Cute of Toby and Daisy just make you want to vomit!?)


Happy Autumn Equinox to those of you who live with me in the Northern Hemisphere!  This is truly my favorite time of the year.  I have started to transition the house -- sitting out and using more candles, changing up the mantle place, listening to different sorts of music, piling blankets up everywhere for all of us -- but this Autumn comes with something a bit strange.

Marcy will leave this coming Tuesday for three weeks in Italy with her mother, her aunt, and a friend of her aunt's.  They lost their fourth wheel months ago and invited Marcy.  This is a truly amazing opportunity, as it is being gifted to her.

But in all our 16 years together, we have never been apart for more than just a week.  And that was difficult!

While she is gone, we will, actually, celebrate that 16th anniversary apart.  ((sad face))

While she is gone, I am hoping to stay sane by focusing on a multitude of projects, including some cleaning through spaces and getting rid of oh, so many objects.

It seems fitting for Autumn, doesn't it?  To shed the unnecessary and get our nests ready for the hibernation coming our way.

I am not sure how helpful the rabbits and cats will be, but they are cute and that is something.  And they are good listeners and they supply hugs...which I will be in desperate need of.

OH! And on a side note: I am happy happy happy to announce that with this season I seem to have regained my ability to get lost in and tear through NOVELS!  YAY!  And I have read some good ones in a short amount of time, including Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad.  What great books have you read lately?

7 comments:

Emma said...

I think the best novel I've read recently was Velva Jean Learns to Drive. (The title and even the description did not impress me, but the book did.)

I am sure those 3 weeks will be tough. I know how I would feel! I think your plans sound good, though, and fuzzy creatures really do help.

ellen said...

I always think it's a great sign too when I can immerse myself in reading and enjoy the experience. A great way to get out of one's own space for a while.

Last really good book - Molly Fox's Birthday by Deirdre Madden. It covers just one day, but describes a whole world. Irish. Hey, I wonder where she got the idea from?

Mostly though I read mysteries that I can pick up and put down as much as I need to.

All the best with the difficult three weeks Blisschick - I bet you'll do great.

svasti said...

I'm sure there will be plenty of writing going on here, too! :)

Very cute photo. I'm sure you guys can Skype for your anniversary which has to be something, yeah?

Exciting for Marcy, but for the ones left behind it never is.

With my current travel plans thwarted, can you believe that my parents AND my sister and her family are each travelling? My parents are already away and my sister and co are leaving very very soon. [sad face]

Right there with ya, hun! xo

Dancing Branflake said...

I love reading so much and having the time to read is so precious to me! Happy Fall to you!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you're feeling better. Just remember, you are not alone. You have us and we have you. I'm recommending "The Brief Wondrous Life of Oscar Wao" by Junot Diaz. Wow! This is what you can do with words. Many-layered, including holocaust, DR-style. Next book up is "Special Topics in Calamity Physics" by Marisha Pessl.

Anonymous said...

Yay! I celebrated fall equinox with my boyfriend at the park. I love this time of year!
As for great books I've read lately:

'A Witch Alone: Thirteen Moons to Master Natural Magik' by Marian Greene was a really inspiring, well written book. Very beautifully written!

'Adult Children of Alcoholics' by Janet E. Woititz CHANGED MY LIFE and made me buy another ACOA book that I liked even more called, 'Struggle For Intimacy' also by Jenet E. Woititz. I highly recommend these books. I didn't grow up so much with an alcoholic parent, as I did with an insane mother who was agoraphobic and mentally ill. Both of these books were still extremely relevant to me.

'Everyday Zen: Love & Work' by Charlotte J. Beck

I am currently reading, 'The Bodacious Book of Succulence' by SARK. It is my first SARK book, and I absolutely love it. Soooo colorful and inspiring. It's helped me get back into drawing everyday. It's like a creative workbook. I can't wait to read her other books!

happy fall!

Jaliya said...

The extreme cuteness makes me purr ...

Want a dynamite novel to read? -- Check out *The Elegance of the Hedgehog*.

xoxo