Friday, October 8, 2010

Let It All Go & Just Dance


Often when I am teaching yogadance, toward the end of the class, when things are reaching a peak in terms of energy and movement, I step back and witness the movement and I start yelling out encouragement, and I find myself, so much of the time, saying...

Let go!  Just let it all go!  Let your body surprise you!

As usual, we teach what we need.

Yesterday, I spent some time finally reading Geneen Roth's Women Food and God, and then I made my way to Mass for a Feast Day that is about the rosary, a meditation and prayer tool that I use almost every day.

Spontaneously, as I prayed, I heard myself asking for those same things that I yell out to my students.

Just let it go.  Just let yourself be happy.  Let go of the fear that letting go with bring something bad.  You no longer have anything to be afraid of; you no longer are unsafe.

Then I came home and read this out of the Geneen Roth:

You become an expert at finding experts and programs, at striving and trying hard and then harder to change yourself, but this process only reaffirms what you already believe about yourself -- that your needs and choices cannot be trusted, and left to your own devices, you are out of control.

When dancing, I know that trying hard and then harder will not get me to any place of new movement or any place of deep, body meditation.  When dancing, I know that it is in being in the exact now and being in the breath and allowing the body to be what it is...that is when I am out of my own way and I am free.

It is the same for life.  I must dance this life and stop trying so damn hard.  I must let go and let my body, mind, and heart be what they already are.  Luminescent.


7 comments:

Graciel @ Evenstar Art said...

oh. my.

yes.


xxoo

Linnea said...

A prayer many of us no doubt need. I have so many dear friends who are suffering right now.

Anonymous said...

yes indeed.

Laura said...

peace, peace, peace....ahhh.

gentle steps dear one

lucy said...

you go, girl! my mantra is "let it all go & just WRITE"... now if i can only get out of my own way!! hugs to you.

Heather Plett said...

Yes, yes, YES! Life is, after all, a process of letting go and learning trust.

Tess said...

Who was it who said something like "we must only get out of our own way". I love what you've written here.