Friday, November 19, 2010

42

One of My Favorite Places

On Saturday, November 20th, I turn 42.

Sometimes, when I am in the warm salt bath that I take before bedtime, I think, what the hell am I doing? How am I in my 40s and just getting to this dancing? And I start to wonder how long I have left to do it, how long I can sustain this. And I feel the panic rise...

And then I remember that I have no choice, that once you find this kind of passion in your life, you are done being in control of everything, you are done with that illusion.

And then I realize what a gift I have been given and turning 42 is no longer important because each day is the only thing that matters.  Each day that I get to dance; each day that I get to teach someone else to love the way their body moves; each day that I get to dedicate myself to this path.

Each day is a birth day, a gift wrapped up in itself.

12 comments:

svasti said...

You will ALWAYS dance. Perhaps as your body ages (as all of ours do), the way you dance might change. But you'll still dance. There's always time.

We find what we need, when we need it. You know this, yeah? xo

P.S. HAPPY BIRTHDAY WISE LADY!

Dimond said...

Happy Birthday, Christine! You can dance all the way up until you die. There are no restrictions. Bet you'll be teaching and inspiring others much younger than you who will revel in your passion. Movement is important for everyone and when you can get joy from it, even better. Make sure to throw yourself a big dance celebration for one (or two if Marcy joins).

K.J. said...

Happy Birthday! You are my daily inspiration, my reminder to look for the everyday miracles, a place where I can see healing in action. Thanks for sharing your journey even with us strangers out here in cyberspace.

Btw, I turn 42 on Sunday!

Heather Plett said...

NEVER STOP being an inspiration to people! Like this 100 year old woman writing limericks on her new iPad... http://jezebel.com/5522786/100+year+old-woman-composes-limerick-on-ipad

When your body can't move anymore, you can still sit in your wheelchair and encourage young girls to discover their bodies! ;-)

Teresa said...

What a lovely post.
Thank you!
Happy Birthday!

Grace said...

:) Happy birthday. And don't forget - 42 is the new 32...and I hope you have PLENTY of time to enjoy The Dance!

Marilyn Harris Mills aka Maer said...

Have a great b-day....life is just beginning.

Lynna G said...

Hi Christine, I love visiting your blog.

I am so with here.
I absolutely loved this post!!!!

lynna G said...

Whoops I meant to say I am so with you here.

But you probably figured that out.

LOL

Jean said...

Happy Birthday!

I am 43 now and I must say that I am just settling more and more into who I really am. You will, too!

Dance your heart out! Your passion is so beautiful!

karmacoy said...

I've been away from blogging for quite awile now, but I still catch some of your posts through facebook.
I am so totally a late bloomer and am still trying to figure out what I am going to do when I grow up! Keep on dancing, love this post. and Happy Birthday!

Anonymous said...

Happy (belated) birthday!