Monday, November 29, 2010

Preparing


Yesterday was the first Sunday of Advent, the first day of the New Year in the Church calendar, and we begin that new year with a focus on anticipation and preparation.  Many of us are focused on getting to the Winter Solstice, and its fulfillment of the promise of increasing light.

I am diving, instead, into the dark.  This is a time for deep reflection and hibernation, a time to rejuvenate on a cellular and spiritual level.

Over this Thanksgiving holiday, I was looking forward to time for rest.  I did not get it. Instead my days were filled with activity and obligation to others, which was fine and in and of itself, even fun.

As Advent begins, my calendar is still too full, but as we travel through the following weeks, activities and demands will fall away, and my time will open and clear, becoming...lighter.

This stripping away and getting to the essential seems appropriate to me, as we anticipate and prepare for birth.

What birth are you preparing for?  What must be gotten rid of to make room for the new?


2 comments:

Gretchen said...

Your posts are always so thoughtful and reflective and I love that about your blog. Reading what you have written reminds me to take a breath. I spent all weekend decorating for Christmas and preparing for a party we're having this weekend and now it's time to relax and enjoy it.

I don't know if I'm preparing for a birth so much as continuing to push through with my workouts and my thought processes and my day to day life that can get so overwhelming. It's wonderful to have this time of year as a reminder to celebrate.

ladybug said...

What birth am I preparing for? What a wonderful and thoughtful question. My immediate answer is finding ways to open my heart and express what is inside it, even if I fear the way such things might be received.

I agree that this time of year (when we dance into a frenzy of parties and gatherings and decorations and shopping and cooking) really is about the deep dive into our own souls and finding the simple moments of beauty in our lives and recognizing them as blessings, however small or insignificant the moments may seem.

It is hard to find the balance between enjoying time with others and finding time to sit with your own thoughts, dreams, and hopes for the new life that approaches.

Thank you for the reminder and beautiful thoughtful question to ponder. :)