Friday, November 26, 2010

A Week of Gratitude: Laughter

My Favorite Tree, which I walk past as I go to my office.

If you created a gratitude list for either Love or Life, make sure to leave a link in one of the gratitude posts and share your list with others!

Today's gratitude theme is Laughter.  Besides my obvious love for alliteration, I thought it would be a good challenge to think about the role of humor in our lives. We are more often than not way too serious in this life, aren't we?

Here is my Laughter Gratitude list (and this one is taking some serious thinking on my part!):
  • One of my favorite sounds in all this world is Marcy's giggle. Anyone who knows her, loves the sound of her deep belly giggle. When she laughs like this, it feels like you've done something really grand and earned some sort of prize.  I get to hear it a lot, because, as she would tell you, I may be a very serious sort of animal but I am also quite funny.  Thankfully.
  • The cats do just about one million things a day that make me laugh but one of my favorite is when they, for no apparent reason, fatten their tails. Toby is notorious for this, and Lilly's gets so big, we call it "toilet brush tail."
  • One of the things recommended in Dialectical Behavior Therapy for an emotional disregulation distraction is funny movies. I love this. We have a few of our favorites, but we are now looking to create a collection.
  • Again, I have to say how thankful I am for teaching, because when I am teaching movement, for some reason, is when I feel most free with my humor and laughter.  It's a great way to get people to relax and not feel so fearful of trying new things, but it also cleanses this teacher's insides.
  •  I am grateful for our neighbor (the one who is like a brother) because he happens to be one of the funniest people I know.  He always has just the right descriptors for things and he can quote any freaking episode of the Simpson's at just the right moment and in just the right way.
  • When I was really little, I loved Tim Conway.  Who did you love?  Who do you love now? (HELLOOOO, Eddie Izzard!)
  • When I used to feel really badly, Marcy would draw a face on her chin, put a hankie over the top of her face, and do that whole upside down mouth routine thing.  Just the thought of that can make me laugh.
Do you laugh enough? Do you take yourself too seriously? What makes you laugh the hardest?

5 comments:

Heather Plett said...

I am grateful for Maddy, our 8 year old family comedian. She has learned that her ability to make people laugh is what finally endeared her to her teenage sisters (who thought of her mostly as a pest until her humour showed up in such wonderful ways), and so she shares it often.

LauraX said...

I definitely laugh...a LOT...it is one of my favorite spiritual/healing practices of all!!! That and gratitude from the moment I awaken in the morning. Here is a link to a HUGE gratitude list from me an many other people around the world!

http://orli-shines.blogspot.com/2010/11/second-annual-mega-mobius-gratitude.html

Anonymous said...

If you are open to having a guest blog poster please reply and let me know. I will provide you with unique content for your blog, thanks.

Joy said...

I have a favorite tree too! Full of life..and I like to just sit under and be in it's presence.
Laughter is essential to me..I work hard to stay a few steps ahead of you to say something so unexpected, so outrageous that you belly laugh..To me, laughter is love. And it puts All into perspective.

~Karen Michelle Bayard~ said...

I laugh a lot. I'm a comedienne and teach laughter yoga at Slat Lake Community College. I am thankful that laughter is part of my wellness practice and the focus of my career. I love teaching and performing. I love that I get to encourage laughter in others which makes me laugh even more. Thanks for your blog its beautiful and inspiring!