Monday, February 28, 2011

No More Gluten Free Glop


Marcy and I were vegetarians for about ten years, and during that time, we were very big on the "no substitutes" rule.  We did not eat soy, tofu, tempeh, etc.  If we weren't going to eat meat, we certainly weren't going to eat FAKE meat.

I am no longer a veggie for big reasons and this blog post is not about that, but I am gluten free for my mental health.  Gluten creates depression, foggy brain, lethargy, etc. in me.

My favorite food has always been pizza.  I could live on it.  I also love bread. I am genetically encoded, I think, with a love for bread (I am German)...and dark beer.

So going gluten free had to have major positive effects, as you can imagine, for me to give this stuff up.  Discipline alone would not have been enough.

I went looking, unlike my vegetarian self, for substitutes and I found good ones.

Or so I thought.

Currently, gluten free (both pre-made and home made) tends to rely heavily on a lot of...crap ingredients likes glues and gums and starches of all sorts.

My body said NO this past weekend.  No more.

I have officially given up on the Substitute Adventure and am officially embarking on the Real & New Adventure.

I only want to eat real, quality ingredients.  Simple stuff.  It's the very reason I've also been a fan of butter over all that soy or chemical junk.

One of the ingredients that was not new to me at all but that we are starting to use in new ways is buckwheat flour (a flour that my family literally has a history with).  Buckwheat is amazingly healthy.  Go here for information.

It is also delicious to bake with and Marcy decided to use it to make me Totally Yummy No Glop Gluten Free Buckwheat Cornbread.  Here is her recipe, which happens to be Super Easy:

Totally Yummy No Glop Gluten Free Buckwheat Cornbread

1 T Butter (use to grease your pan and throw remainder in bowl)
1 C Cornmeal
1/2 C Buckwheat Flour
1/2 C Brown Rice Flour
1/2 t Salt
2 T Brown Sugar
1 t Baking Soda
1 Egg
1 C Milk

Mix all ingredients together, place in 9 inch pan (or muffin cups), bake for 25 to 30 minutes at 350.  You can also sugar the top, which makes for a nice crispy sweetness.


7 comments:

Emma said...

I'm going to have to try this cornbread!

LSL said...

Another blog I read, Gluten Free Girl-recently gave up all the gums as they gave her tummy troubles. Her website has good recipes that happen to be gluten-free. Her partner is a chef.

Christine Claire Reed said...

Ah, I LOVE Gluten Free Girl and am glad to hear that.

Her memoir is amazing!

Jacqueline Morgan said...

Thank you for this recipe! I have had a hankering for cornbread for a while now--can't wait to try it!

Jennifer said...

I'm hearin' you Girl!
When I was trying to give up gluten, all those fakey-fake substitutes just didn't do it for me either.

Have you tried making this with an alternative milk though?
I can't have the dairy (and shouldn't have the sugar either, but I sometimes do).
I'll give it a try with coconut or almond milk and let you know how it goes.

Christine Claire Reed said...

Jennifer, Nope on the milk. I am very grateful I can have dairy, that's for sure! :) Almond, maybe...I would guess it's just a matter of matching the flavor. Good luck!

Theresa said...

I just popped a batch of these in the toaster oven to go with a big pot of chili. So looking forward to seeing how they turn out.