Friday, February 25, 2011

Reconnecting to our Inner Sparkle Chicks


PinkExplosion


Something interesting has been happening to me and students in my Yoga Dance and Kundalini yoga classes.

Let me back up.

After my very first Yoga Dance class, I had a student come up to me and say that for the first time in a long time she felt like maybe it was okay to "feel a little sexy."

Wow.

That's where so many of us are at this point: afraid that we can't be seen as smart and serious and still have fun with our femininity.

Fast forward a year and I have had a couple of discussions with people who have been with me for some time, committed to this practice, and what keeps coming up?

That they are reconnecting to the really feminine parts of themselves.  That they are craving expressing aspects of themselves that they've held down and in for a long time.  That they want to be more expressive about who they are -- even in how they dress.

They think maybe it's not so silly after all.

I know how they feel.  The second I started dancing again, I started dreaming of tutus and clothing that was not just "useful."

And now I dream of plaid umbrellas and dresses made of cotton candy.

(I also let myself, obviously, play with polyvore, and I will do it again! So there!)


1 comment:

Melissa said...

I lose touch with the sexy, feminine part of myself way too often. Think it's time I reintroduce myself to that part. Thanks for the reminder.