Thursday, April 14, 2011

Perfect Love, Unconditional Love

Sunset from our backyard

I have been told many times in my life (in my younger life, especially) that my idea of unconditional love is a fairy tale.

I didn't realize until quite recently how much I had allowed that toxicity to deform me. (Though when you hear that from the time you are small, one wonders how I could have ever believed that it had not affected me.)

It has been through my devotion to Our Lady of Guadalupe (or "our most perfect Mother" as I like to say in my Catholic voice) that I have come to realize the deformity in me and the possibility for reshaping that innocent heart with which I was born.

And by "innocent," I do not mean "naive" but rather, unmarred and pure -- the heart with which we are all born.

I am spending time on my retreat praying and reading about what Perfect Love actually looks like.

Right before my retreat, I got to see a most hideous example of what it does not look like -- a mother being verbally and emotionally abusive in public to a very small girl.  That mother herself was obviously not loved well as a child and now she is giving that same ugly gift to her daughter who will then, most likely, pass it on to the people in her life.

Here's my question: how, first, could you love yourself better?  And how, then, could that change how you express love to everyone around you?


4 comments:

Brenda said...

More good food for thought and contemplation. Thank you again, Christine.

Angela Sweetland Bass said...

I have been reading a few of your posts, and I am finding them so inspirational...Thank you!

claire said...

How can I love myself better? In unlearning of lot of the restrictions that were placed on me as I grew up... All this 'toxicity' that was piled on over the years, and which to this day prevents me from being what Godde created me to be.
Quite a task!
Thank you for this post :-)

Bettina Makley, aka Fairywebmother. said...

Clarifying your intention to love yourself better is a great start. Choosing to believe that you deserve abundance, joy, love...not always easy...but still a choice, is also helpful. Once you truly accept, love and TRUST yourself, the rest comes naturally. JMHO. :) Great blog.