Tuesday, May 31, 2011

Bad Words


I re-watched The Last Samurai last night and this quote really caught my attention. Tom Cruise's character is making an observation about the Japanese people:

They are an intriguing people. From the moment they wake, they devote themselves to the perfection of whatever they pursue. I have never seen such discipline.

This quote is full of words which we have decided are "bad," words we think we need to avoid: devotion, perfection, discipline.

I wonder what we are missing when we decide those things are not only unattainable but not even worth trying for...


2 comments:

omchannel said...

This post makes me think... Much depends on how you define devotion, perfection, and discipline.

Using those ideals to club yourself when you fall short would feel shaming. On the other hand, seeing yourself as inherently perfect, being disciplined when discipline was called for, and devoting yourself to life itself... Now that has possibilities.

When I open my arms to imperfection, my personal sense of shame - wow. I feel closer to wholeness than ever. In that paradoxical place, there is nothing to attain. I feel more freedom than any ideal could give me.

Christine Claire Reed said...

Om! :)

That is exactly my point. We throw out so much possibility when we deem things "bad" because we are simply uncomfortable with them or they make us squirm a bit. I think squirming is good for the soul.