Wednesday, May 25, 2011

My Biggest Fear of All


This is a Marianne Williamson quote you see around a LOT, but yesterday at a special event in town, while the guest speaker (of the "national" level) droned on, I realized some things about my path in life, some things I am called to do, and it scared the crap out of me.

This is most definitely my Biggest Fear of All, and so I thought I would share it, though you've probably read it a million times.  Another time won't hurt, obviously, since it only just really made me go DUH!

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It's not just in some of us; it's in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.

5 comments:

shinyyoga said...

totally love this quote xx

Patty said...

You make us think about what is going on in our own heads. So many of your "rules" also go around in my head too. As I age I try to do the complete opposite. I am more outgoing, more emotional, more touchy feely than I had ever allowed myself to be. I am beginning to really not care what other people find appropriate behavior for a 53 year old. I do what I love. I don't hurt anyone, I treat people with kindness and respect even if that is not how they have treated me. I love who I am. A friend ask me once if I could get rid of some of the hurt/bad things that had gone on in my life would I. I answered No without any hesitation. If it were possible to undo history at what point do you remove something that changes who you are? I am the way I am with people because of the hurt. I am more understanding and kind to others because of my pain. Sure I wish some of it never happened but it did and I have grown into a loving person because of it. It took a while to love "Me" as much as I do now but I enjoy rediscovering who I am and I am excited about what comes next. Just like you Christine, if the stuff had not happened to you in your childhood would you be here today helping all of us?

patty.

Anonymous said...

I love this... I feel like we are all "Playing small" We need to open up to that infinite brightness and live from there.. our grandeur will help others open to their own. Lets now play Big! In the best way.

Anonymous said...

To comment on this one and the previous. It seems like we are Rewiring our brain, and the collective brain to incorporate, to be read as JOY. Humanity has been through so much, and this world has so many issues, and darknesses. But we CAN be Light Beings, we can BE WHO WE ARE. All the negative stuff is just fertilizer to make us into crystalline diamonds. PRESSURE is what creates diamonds, this world is filled with pressure, darkness, but it helps us to SEE the LIGHT- to LIVE the LIGHT, to KNOW THE LIGHT, moment to moment . It IS possible, millions around the world are doing it. Lets create the Eden that is the true essence of this planet!

belladawn said...

I love this quote. I think you have had it on your blog before. It really speaks to me. I just had lunch with a friend today that said, "we are God in the flesh." That one really gives people the willies.