Monday, August 15, 2011

Do You Have a Play Plan?


If you can make that photo bigger (and you should be able to, because I never "lock" them), you might be able to see how relaxed my face is. I love being near the water and that day at the beach was extracoolawesome. It was windy and she was really stirred up..."she" referring to the lake, of course.

After attending the trauma workshop, I was out of sorts, as I have mentioned. Finally, late last week I had an appointment with my favorite energy healer.

She put me back together again with the aid of singing bowls, which she kept placing on and around me, inviting them to sing their songs of health and happy into my physical and subtle bodies.

At the end of the appointment, she asked if I had been to the beach lately.

Um...no...

I have, most ashamedly, barely been to the beach this summer at all.

Water is my main healing agent and this lake...if it weren't for this lake, who knows where I would live, because she is truly my anchor to this place.

Marcy took me immediately and then we got these great pictures.

Going to the beach reminded me of my favorite day at the trauma workshop. We were lucky enough to have a guest teacher, Steve Gross, Head Play Expert Extraordinaire of the organization Life is Good Playmakers.  (Watch this; it's so well done.)

We played with a colored parachute, beach balls, music. Steve has this way about him that just opens you up.  (I, and another girl at the workshop, discussed how we were nervous for this particular segment, and that as soon as we saw him, we were all like, "Oh, we LOVE him."  Instantly.  That is the power of his energy.)

The main thing I learned from Steve is that play is not always about being silly.  Play is about experimenting, exploring, connecting, and doing all of this in an environment that feels safe and allows you to make your own choices.

He also emphasized the idea of a "Play Plan."

As adults in this culture, we plan plan plan for everything, don't we?  But it is predominately the sort of planning that is about "controlling."  We hope we can control all the bad things, for example, or we hope we can control what would happen after a bad thing.

But a PLAY PLAN?!  Who makes a play plan?  That sounds, well, TOO FREAKING FUN!

And as adults, we should really be having as little fun as possible. There is work to be done, weeds to be pulled, meals to be cooked...

BLAH BLAH BLAH

Play is what makes life worth living and not just for your toddler.  Play is creative and stimulating.  The very act of play is an assertion of optimism over dread, grief, fear, darkness in general.

Play is the most important work you can do, really.

When you are thinking about your play plan, you can think about a couple of things:

First, what did you used to do when you were little, a teenager, last week...that would make you lose all sense of time.

Second, what sorts of things do you say "Oh...I could never do that..." to?

Third, how could you leak play all over the people around you?  How could you include the people you love?

My Play Plan


I vow to play more in general. To not take everything so damn seriously.


I will go to the beach MORE MORE MORE.


I will take more day trips to see and experience new things.

I will not worry about looking silly, even when I am wearing my tutu in public.


I will wear my tutu in public.


I will save up and buy pink glitter wheeled roller skates and stop talking about pink glitter wheeled roller skates.


I will do more things with no point or goal in mind...

You get the idea.

I will be working to make my plan plan more specific over the coming days and weeks.

Here's what you can do:

Create a play plan for yourself.

Leave it here in the comments.

Or write a whole blog post about your plan and then come back and leave the link in the comments.


4 comments:

Anonymous said...

http://www.ted.com/talks/eve_ensler.html I thought you would like this. Eve ensler talks about the separation of her from her body.. really amazing.. really up your alley i think.. let me know what u think!! :)

Christine Claire Reed said...

I just watched that talk a couple of days ago. I have watched a few of hers over the last year or so, actually, and really really loved a couple of them.

For some reason, and I have not been able to put my finger on it yet, this particular talk did not sit well with me, did not have the same authentic intensity of her other talks.

As weird as that sounds...

K.J. said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
K.J. said...

This kind of jarred me. On a constant quest for self-improvement, I do not play enough. I am going to contemplate this and post again.....I need to find my fun! How sad is that? Excellent post.