Monday, August 1, 2011

Post Kripalu Fugue

Normally, when I am away at Kripalu, I document the experience through, at least, brief daily blog posts. My most recent venture to Kripalu for the workshop on the neuroscience of trauma and the use of breath, movement, and relationship to treat trauma was a bit...triggering for someone like me, and thus, the lack of on-the-scene documentation.

Truth be told, it was a bit triggering for most of the people there, since people interested in helping with trauma have usually been through some sort.

Though triggering, I am happy to report that I had the internal resources to be witness to the triggers and then to deal with them appropriately and healthily.  Phew!

But I am tired and in the middle of trying to put it all together in some meaningful way.

In the meantime, how do you do with known triggers?  Are you able to work with them or do they still affect you too deeply to go into witness state?  Do you notice what triggers do to your body and breath or do you numb yourself to the experience?


3 comments:

Heather Plett said...

An intriguing question. I don't think of myself as someone dealing with trauma, but the whole concept of triggers is worth thinking about none-the-less. This morning I went into a bit of a funk and couldn't figure out why I'd gone there. After reading your post, I feel like I have a new language to ask myself... "what was my trigger for that negative spiral?"

svasti said...

Most of my triggers are gone now, thanks to the EMDR treatment I had. But I still find that I'm sensitive to excessive loud noise and crowds.

That said, I'll still go out to see a live band and revel in rocking out with the rest of the audience. So I think the key thing is that if I want to be in a situation where there's loud noise/lots of people, I'm okay.

But if I don't want it or don't like it, I need to be away from such things.

I guess my other trigger is witnessing physical violence, including things in TV shows/films. So mostly I just don't watch those things. Unless I do, and then I let myself have a good cry about it.

Regarding what triggers do, my throat tightens up like I'm being strangled, my heart beats a mile a minute and if it gets really bad I start to cough uncontrollably. Thank goodness that doesn't happen much any more!

Christine Claire Reed said...

Heather, yep, even though not everyone is technically suffering from PTSD, we have all experienced emotional traumas that leave residue, and we all respond out of it now and then.

Svasti, One of Bessel's top three treatments is EMDR. He loves it. BUT...it doesn't do much good for people who were victims of chronic childhood neglect and abuse. The triggers are too varied and deep. You can use it here and there, but there is simply too much and the brain is so very changed. EMDR is best for very specific, definable instances of trauma.